Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new frame in today.
NS Suburban 26"
Tabletop tires
FUNN stem and bars
Outlaw wheelset (got a deal)
Planning to pop for some Vendetta cranks.
Still haven't decided on a fork. GL or 318? Was going to get 4x, but too much $$.
Any recommendations for headset? I want something really strong. This was hard to get ahold of, I'd hate to damage the frame.
I'll post more as it comes along.

Attachments

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
nice man, i have an 07 that had outlaws and tabletops til i switched to 24's. now the frame is a little harder to manual but easier to bunny hop.
you will love it.
as for fork id say go with the argyle. i have a 318 and like it alot. As a matter of fact im thinking of selling it and starting a new build based around 24's (just throwing it out there for anyone interested, lowered to about 72mm, only ridden 10 times tops, new condition)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm building up a suburban as well. I chose to run the fox f100 since its super light and i got great deal on it. As far as headset goes, I just picked up a Chris King last night.

I think Vendetta cranks are sort of a waste, Profiles are a lot nicer and stronger.

·
Registered
839 Posts
climbingbubba said:
nice man, i have an 07 that had outlaws and tabletops til i switched to 24's. now the frame is a little harder to manual but easier to bunny hop.
you will love it.
as for fork id say go with the argyle. i have a 318 and like it alot. As a matter of fact im thinking of selling it and starting a new build based around 24's (just throwing it out there for anyone interested, lowered to about 72mm, only ridden 10 times tops, new condition)
Ahhh what's with everyone selling their Argyles NOW....

Just kidding -- I'm happy with the Sherman Firefly I picked up :thumbsup:

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
nice start, I'm sure you're stoked. Yeah, nice score on those TT's too, haha.

If you want a stout headset, look at the Solid. Mine has been rocking strong... just have to grease it a lot and can't store your bike outside. Roller bearings are the beat.

...and I've never heard of a pike 454 coil... isn't that air only?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Paintpeeler. I got the 26" because I'm 6 feet tall and usually ride more MTB style jumps and some park. I'm coming from a p2 and didn't want something too twitchy.

NO! I didn't get the sticker sheet either, one sticker came with it. I did get touch up paint!?

ClimingBubba. You can reverse the lowering of the Argyle, I assume? I may be interested.

I have a REBA on my XC bike. I'm selling the whole bike. Can't stand my Reba. BTW, MKIII for sale.

Thanks. I'll check out the Solid headsets.

I'm itching to order the rest of my parts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installed the cranks

Got the Vendettas installed, pretty pleased so far, they seem really solid. Matching 28 tooth ring, I'll be running 12 in the back.
The Argyle 318 is awaiting the headset which should be here Monday. BTW, there were 3 thick plastic washer looking pieces in with the Argyle, I'm guessing for adjusting the internals? Anyone know? I didn't see anything about it in the booklet.

Attachments

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
motts said:
BTW, there were 3 thick plastic washer looking pieces in with the Argyle, I'm guessing for adjusting the internals? Anyone know? I didn't see anything about it in the booklet.
those can be used for 2 things
1. put directly under the left top cap to be used for preload (there should be 1 or two more already there)
2. to lower your fork. you take as many as you want, i think each of them is about 4 mm and you put them under the negative spring (small spring at the bottom of left leg assembly). if you put 5 that would lower your for to about 80mm or to an A/C length of about 471mm

lowering the arglye on the suburban would be ideal, the geometry is based off of a 80mm marz fork. that would be an A/C height of 465. so you would need to put about 6 or 7 of those washers in to give you the same A/C height on your argyle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She's done and she runs!

After a hillbilly build from hell, hammers, saws, giant bolts, multiple trips to the shop, etc. the new Suburban is done. I took my tools to the trails first ride and didn't even need them. I need to buy some better tools.
Super fun ride, very flickable, the table tops take some getting used to in our dry, sandy dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Is it just me or do you have a single Gustav rear brake? :eek:

Your bike looks super rad!!! My boss is trying to decide on a new dirt jumper and the Suburban seems to be at the very top of his list... Those jumps look fun as hell too!! Enjoy.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.