Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I didn't heade this forum's warning, and went ahead and bought a Shimano XT/Mavic 717disc wheelset. I've ridden it for about two weeks on my new Blur, and finally realized you guys were right: It's damn heavy!

My question: Is it possible to substitute different/lighter hubs with my current spokes/rims/tires, or would I be better off selling the XT wheelset and buying a lighter set? If the latter would be easiest, any suggestions for an XC set around $200 total?

Thanks again.:smallviolin:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you need to ask, you probably shouldn't consider doing it. What's so wrong with the XT hubs? At your price point what do you think you're going to get? XT hubs aren't that heavy. BTW, exactly which XT hubs do you have?

·
Registered
175 Posts
When people talk about the weights of wheels, they often get the impression that all rotating weight is created equal. This is not true. The weight of the tire, tube, rim, nipples, and spokes are far more important than the weight of the hub (see: polar moment of inertia). So even if your XT hubs aren't the lightest kids on the block, they aren't *heavy* and upgrading them simply because of their weight doesn't make much sense to me. If you want to upgrade them because Shimano's freehub sucks or because you want a cartridge bearing -- then I could understand.

As far are re-using your spokes: don't do it. First you're making the assumption that your new hubs will have the exact same flange dimensions (so the spoke length will be the same). They probably won't. But in the rare case the hub dimensions are the same (perhaps upgrading from a deore disc hub to an XT disc hub) -- you're still reusing old spokes. I've actually been there, and done that. It seems perfectly logical than 1-month old spokes should be capable of being swapped over, but chances are you'll experience an unacceptable number of failures. Cough up the $32-$64 for some new DT or wheelsmith spokes/nipples. Besides, your current wheelset probably uses generic spokes manufactured by a 12-year-old peruvian boy working 15 hour shifts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.