Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I don't get why there is a home brew? stan's has worked great for me, it's not cheap, but niether is 5 different products each costing $5-10. What is your actual savings, $10 bucks? Somebody let me in on the reason, PUH-leez, I just don't get it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
D3DO said:
I don't get why there is a home brew? stan's has worked great for me, it's not cheap, but niether is 5 different products each costing $5-10. What is your actual savings, $10 bucks? Somebody let me in on the reason, PUH-leez, I just don't get it.
I'm glad I'm the only one who doesn't get it.
Add in time /gas running around and picking the stuff up...and time to mix and experiment.
Or go buy a 32 oz bottle for $15 that will last at least a season with a couple of wheel sets.
But...to each his own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Stan's sealant, for the most part. Stan's is a little expensive, but not like gold. The bike shops I have to go to to get it are about 10 miles away from my house. I can get all of the raw materials for home brew within 1 mile of my house. I can get a very large container of slime from walmart pretty cheap. Water is practically free. The cheap antifreeze from walmart is...cheap. The liquid latex is .1 miles from walmart. It's like having a very large container of Stan's on hand. I think my home brew works a little better than Stan's. But mostly, I'm a tinkerer. I like doing things myself, figuring out how to do stuff is what I like to do.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
JoeandEaston said:
But mostly, I'm a tinkerer. I like doing things myself, figuring out how to do stuff is what I like to do.
Nuff said- that is what I suspected. There is something to be said for that.
I am coming from the opposite side- 3 ankle biters, busy work, etc. Mixing my own brew sounds (fun and interesting) but TIME consuming, particularly when there is a descent product out. I get it now- thanks.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Caffe Latex - good stuff.

Regarding the home brew - the mix I made cost as much as a bottle of Stans - but the net result was 3 times the product so initial outlay may be as much, but over all expenditure is not.

·
Registered
729 Posts
D3DO said:
I am coming from the opposite side- 3 ankle biters, busy work, etc. Mixing my own brew sounds (fun and interesting) but TIME consuming, particularly when there is a descent product out. I get it now- thanks.
It wasn't at all time consuming for me. I got the ingredients near work when I was out running errands anyway. I mixed it up following Wadester's recipe in about 5 minutes and I had a couple of quarts of it.

I basically did it because I'd heard some people had problems with Stan's drying up relatively quickly. I figured making my own I'd save a little $ and have some sauce that would last a long time.

Plus it has a nice look, like melted mint chip ice cream!:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
D3DO said:
You must have missed it. The link that is. It has the formula for the home brew so you don't have to tinker. As others have said. Less expensive, larger quantity, works better. We've done the work for you.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Homebrew user.... rear tire lasts 1200 to 1300 miles. 4 to 6 months of use, depending on season. One application, it seals, it lasts, no reapplication, no drying out in 2 months like Stans and reapply. Set it and forget it, so far, it's cheaper and superior to Stans, in my experience.

·
Registered
536 Posts
D3DO said:
+1, I spend the time up front with my tubeless systems so I don't have to do anything (including changing flats :D) later except add sealant. A couple of containers of Stan's last a year or more for me. No muse, no fuss, no $. So, ain't broke; aint fixin it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I've tried 3 types of sealants

Stan's=Reasonable price and performance. Seals pretty well. Dries up fast in hot weather. Lasts only about 2 months in 100 degree weather. Does not seem to be as chunky as it was a few years ago, even though they deny that the formula has changed. Seals cactus punctures fairly well.

CaffeLatex=Considerably more expensive than Stan's. Seeps through sidewalls more than Stan's during initial seal up. Seals cactus thorns ok if they stay in and don't pull out. Does not seal in and out punctures well at all. I had a tire that went from 25psi to 21psi during a ride. I found a large spine in it.I had 3 scoops in that tire, and at home when I pull it out all 3 scoops sprayed out and did not seal!! I now call CaffeLatex by the name of "CrappeExlax":lol: It also dries out in hot weather.

Homebrew=(mold builder/auto slime/antifreeze/water)Seals punctures exceptionally well. The tire that CaffeLatex would not seal, I washed out with a hose, and remounted with "Homebrew". It was blowing air out until I turned the hole to the bottom, and it went "thiipp" and instantly sealed up, and has held air perfectly since. As for cost, it is less than Stan's, and way less than CrappeExlax. And it is not like you can't find the ingredients easily. One stop at Michaels, and a stop at Wally World, or an auto parts store. I have not had a chance to test its hot weather life. So far it is the best sealant, at the lowest price. We have a winner.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.