Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to take a shim out of a Shimano freehub body (as described by Zinn and Morningstar) to eliminate some cassette wobble; however, the proper tool, the TL-FH40, is no longer available.

I'm looking for another 2-prong type tool that would fit. Any ideas?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, wow. now i really want to find a substitute for that tool. $55.95?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's not it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
that's not it.
Sure it is, that's the original one before they came out with tl fh-40, it works on all shimano hyperglide freehubs, for removing the drive side bearing race, to open up the freehub body for servicing, clockwise -> loosen, counterclockwise <- tighten. I have both tools, and the older version is better than the newer version because it fits much tighter into the freehub body. Which keeps one from stripping one of the notches in the bearing race which can easily happen when using the tl fh-40 tool because it doesn't fit as snug into the bearing race notches like the original tool does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sure it is, that's the original one before they came out with tl fh-40, it works on all shimano hyperglide freehubs, for removing the drive side bearing race, to open up the freehub body for servicing, clockwise -> loosen, counterclockwise <- tighten. I have both tools, and the older version is better than the newer version because it fits much tighter into the freehub body. Which keeps one from stripping one of the notches in the bearing race which can easily happen when using the tl fh-40 tool because it doesn't fit as snug into the bearing race notches like the original tool does.
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who would consider making their own tool, this looks good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qBk5pePGRg&lc=z233yrmxypmxdzh3gacdp430ej0bsjlufkaw5xlnj2lw03c010c

1 - 10 of 10 Posts