Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this issue has probably been brought up a lot but I am just lost in the amount of bikes that are out there.

Basically here's what I'm looking for: I want a bike that I could comfortably jump, do drops (sub 10 foot to flat, maybe more with a tranny), do basic tricks (endos, manuals, bunnyhop, etc...), generally ride around, and go a little crazy with on local trails.

I'm more concerned with the drops/jumps part than the trails part, as long as it's physically possible to get it up a hill, I'm happy. I don't care about weight, or double/single crown fork. I'd prefer a lower standover height and something with at least 7 inches of travel. Keep in mind I'm more likely to say "Man I wish I had more confidence in my bike so I can try this drop" than "Man I wish this thing was lighter." I DON'T want a lot of pedal bob, but anything less than moderate I can live with.

I'd prefer a fork with some kinda external rebound adjustment, compression I'm not as concerned about. Rebound lockout would be nice but I understand they are pretty damn rare in the kinda bikes I'm asking, so I won't make it an issue.

I'd like to keep it limited to $2800 MSRP, so realistically I'm looking to spend maybe 2600-2700, but not much more. If there's a bike that's 2400 with a decent fork that I can have the shop swap for a better one for 300 dollars, that would also be fine. I'm looking strictly at 2006 bikes, I'd buy used but I'd like a frame warranty plus the perks from the bike shop when buying new.

I was just about settled on the 2006 kona stinky deluxe, and it seems to have a really good setup (from what I understand the 2006 888VF has external rebound/compression adjustment?), but now I'm looking at all these other less mainstream brands like iron horse, rocky mountain, devinci, ellsworth, foes, norco, the list goes on and on... At this point I'm just completely lost and unless I manage to score a sponsorship in the next two years (hah) whatever I choose is with me for the long haul, I kinda already made that mistake buying a klein palomino last year (good bike but NOT AT ALL suited to what I want to do), and don't want to do that again.

I've read the mtbr reviews but they are lacking for 2006, and just because two bikes are rated really high doesn't tell me too much about how they compare...so I would really love to hear from anyone with experience/advice.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like you know what you want so just look at all the bikes and see what fits best. Im sure the stinky would serve you fine. BTW i'm glad its you not me whos going to be doing 10 foot drops to flat.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you are not so dead set on an 06 model, now is a REALLY good time to pick up an 05 for a good price. I have heard of the 05 Specialized SX Trail going for as little as $2400. Check out the Yeti ASX. Full builds can run well under $2800. The IH 7.5 is also a nice bike for around that price.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah, why are you set on getting an 06 model? Now is the time for cheap 05 models. I had an 05 stinky deelux it was nice except for the 888vf which did not have external adjustments.But the 06 888vf2 had external adjustmenst on the bottom of the fork. Dude all those companies you listed are pretty "mainstream". I have heard really good things about the new iron horse line. I'm pretty sure most of bikes like (kona)stinky-deelux,(norco)A-line,(devinci)8flat8 have basicially the same parts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jettj45 said:
Yeah, why are you set on getting an 06 model? Now is the time for cheap 05 models. I had an 05 stinky deelux it was nice except for the 888vf which did not have external adjustments.But the 06 888vf2 had external adjustmenst on the bottom of the fork. Dude all those companies you listed are pretty "mainstream". I have heard really good things about the new iron horse line. I'm pretty sure most of bikes like (kona)stinky-deelux,(norco)A-line,(devinci)8flat8 have basicially the same parts.

I guess I'm not so set on it as long as I can buy a new '05. I guess I meant "a little less mainstream than completely mainstream" or something :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'd also vote for buying a
'05 model. Whichever bike you choose, regular 10f drops to flat are not a good idea!

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
Yes this is a good time to buy 05 models but if you do go with a Stinky get the 06. It has the new frame design. Stinky's are sweet bikes and made for what you are describing (except the 10ft to flat).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice try robo chicken :D

I think I basically have it down to either the 06 stinky deluxe or the IH 7.5 (Probably the '05 model unless the '06 can be found for less than 2800). How do they compare? I hear the IH bikes pedal really well but it looks like the stinky has a better fork and shock.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Honestly, I have no connection with that bike or the person selling it. Just saw it while roaming ebay.

Plus, mine has a DHX coil and 66SL.

Why do people get so uptight about this stuff? Shoot me for being helpfull...

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
2,300 Posts
Robot Chicken said:
Honestly, I have no connection with that bike or the person selling it. Just saw it while roaming ebay.

i know, right

i aint being sarcastic

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robot Chicken said:

no i appreciate it, i was just kidding, and the deluxe or the 7.5 looks like what I want to get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts