Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone managed a sub 28 lb. X5 for XC use/ racing? Is it possible without paying Porsche prices worth of parts? My Marble peak was under 28 with average parts, though I know the X5 is a pound heavier. The fork isn't heavier, but the discs are.

Weight must INCLUDE pedals. What's that about reviews excluding pedals from their stunning weight claims?

·
Registered
753 Posts
wyatt said:
Anyone managed a sub 28 lb. X5 for XC use/ racing? Is it possible without paying Porsche prices worth of parts? My Marble peak was under 28 with average parts, though I know the X5 is a pound heavier. The fork isn't heavier, but the discs are.

Weight must INCLUDE pedals. What's that about reviews excluding pedals from their stunning weight claims?
I sent an X5 for test and it weighed 28lbs with a Romic shock on and no frills build.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Well it ain't a X5 but,...

wyatt said:

it's a 25.66 pound Salty. Transfer all the parts to a X5 frame and you have a under 27 pound X5. The wheels might be a little wimpy for X5 use though.

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
wyatt said:

yep....mine weight 28.1 lbs with heavy UST tires (about 800 grams a piece) so for racing so easily under 28 with more reasonable tires for racing and the such.

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Pauliemon said:
Gawd! It even looks good dirty.
thanks....and it performed great for that race. basically the first real ride on the bike with all the new parts. only problem i had was that the cranks loosened on my last lap (used another bike for day laps...X5 for night laps which worked out great) which was my fault.....should have checked the torque during the race and more importantly, should have brought an 8mm with me (idiot!)

Attachments

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Fo,
I'm about 1.2 lbs. more than yours. My Mono Minis I know are heavier than you brakes and my rims (Syncros DS28s) are heavier, but where is the extra pound? I guess I should do like the bike mags and weigh it sans pedals.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
paddlefoot64 said:
Fo,
I'm about 1.2 lbs. more than yours. My Mono Minis I know are heavier than you brakes and my rims (Syncros DS28s) are heavier, but where is the extra pound? I guess I should do like the bike mags and weigh it sans pedals.
hmmmm....not sure but then again, i dont have your specs in front of me. As for my weight, that includes the pedals. I also dont think my brakes are lighter than yours....mine are Magura Louise so while they are not light, probably a few grams more than the Minis but honestly, not much (unless you have the 2-piece rotor version).

I also had DS28 rims with Hope Bulb hubs and that came in at 2100 grams with DT Swiss competition spokes and brass nipples. I also ran tubes which I assume you run so that is another approx (depending on tubes) 170 grams x 2 = 340 grams for a total of 2440 grams ignoring the tires.

My new wheelset came in at about 1672 grams and the tubless conversion kit is about 50 grams a piece I think so that is a total of 1772 grams for the new wheelset.

So on the wheelset, accounting for tubes/rim strips, that alone accounts for a difference of 668 grams; so right there, assuming your DS28 wheelset is about the same weight as mine, that is 1.47 pounds.

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
You know, I never weighed the wheels before I put them on. Rims, DS28, spokes, Super Comps, alloy nips, King Iso discs. I am using the two piece rotors, 180 front and 160 rear.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
paddlefoot64 said:
You know, I never weighed the wheels before I put them on. Rims, DS28, spokes, Super Comps, alloy nips, King Iso discs. I am using the two piece rotors, 180 front and 160 rear.
not sure then....maybe my scale is weighing too light and/or yours too heavy?

in "general", our parts are pretty comparable:

let's see.....

you run a bashguard, i do not (not sure how much that accounts for)

since you basically have the same wheelset with different rims, that puts your wheelset at 230 grams heavier due to the rims (540 grams vs 425 grams).

you run tubes I assume so that is another approx. 270 grams versus my rim strips

so with the bashring at say 100 grams more than my big ring (no idea how much more it really is) that is of course 1.3 pounds....so perhaps the 1.5 pound difference is about right; either way, sweet bikes.

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Yes, that bash ring probably does weigh about 108 Gm, I believe. I'm thinking about running a 2.1 BG up front instead of the 2.35. Except for changing the wheels to my 1570 Gm set, I can't see a lot of ways to save weight, on my rig. Is the tubeless system working for you? Having to with Stan's, I can't see much weight savings there, as the rim strips appear as heavy as a tube. Too bad I didn't use the DT 5.1 rim so I could use the new DT rim strip. Anyway, I'm not trying to sound like a weight weenie, just hate to have unnecessary weight on the bike. I'm sure your scale is right on.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
not sure stans weighs that much to be honest as it should save you some weight over tubes for sure. i just dont know how well Stans works with the DS28 rims.

the tubeless kit i run works flawless. it is specifically designed for my rims. i have 2 bikes with the 4.1d rims and the tubeless conversion kit works flawless.....zero burps from either bike and if there have been burps, i have not noticed. I could not be happier though of course your rims are more manly.

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
They felt more "manly" today when I was off the back. Of course it could have nothing to do with my stamina and has everything to do with the weight of the bike. Maybe I'll run the light wheels next time to see if I can keep the pack in sight. They kicked my butt today.

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
Im just about there....

wyatt said:
Anyone managed a sub 28 lb. X5 for XC use/ racing?
My bike weighed in at 28.4 pounds on my digital scale with this build. I switched to lighter tubes and cut the seat tube down since then, so I bet its really close to, or at 28 now. I put a set of bigger tires and slime tubes on for a while, but the extra weight and slow roll of the tires was a bit much, so I went back to the lighter end of the spectrum.

Here is the build.

Medium X-5 with quad bearings-fox float w/ propedal
Fox vanilla fork
King headset
Thomson 90mm 5 degree stem
Easton EC70 Monkeylite xc bar
Odi lock on ruffian grips
Thomson Post
WTB Laser titanium rail seat
Avid Juicy Seven brakes
WTB Laserlite disc hubs/ DT Swiss xr 4.1d rims
Sram X9 triggers
XT Front der.
Sram X9 rear der.
04 XT Cranks
04 XT Cassette
Sram PC-99 chain
Schwalbe Little Albert tires

I think Im going to send the shock and fork off to Push when I get my bonus in april. With all the praise Push is getting, Im curious to see for myself the difference it makes.

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Fo,
My XC wheels (WTB LL/VXC) with 2.1 BG front, 2.1 Nevegal rear are back on the X-5. Weight is 28.4. I will try tubeless soon for further weight loss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.