Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are both $70 at nashbar. I need to replace a bontrager racelite that's flaking on the inside of the chain rings. I keep reading about the truvativ coming with a bb - is that just assumed even at this price? Anyway, will I need to change my current bb to put in either one of these? I'm a student without a lot of cash, so if I could keep my current bracket around for a while that might swing the decision. Thanks.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Honestly, I think the Bontrager and Prodigy are both made by TruVativ in Taiwan. I think the RaceLite is the high end model same as or at least comparable to the Stylo. Anyway you slice it, I don't think you are going to end up with a better set of cranks. Have you considered just getting new chainrings?

If you do indeed want/need new cranks, I would look at the last years XT cranks. They were on sale at Supergo for $79 but I think that deal is gone. You can check eBay and might be able to find some good deals there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the opinions, but riddle me this – why are the stylos rated (mtbr) so much higher the bontragers if they’re the same product? If I go with chain rings (which might save $20 since I need to replace 2) is that doable without specialized tools?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
The stylo's are basically the top series XC cranks from Truvativ while the prodigy's are pretty close to the bottom model line from Raceface. Myself, i'd rather go with the stylos.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
there is no way in hell the prodigy's are stronger. Have you ever even read their warranty for the stuff?. And yes, $100 is bottom of the line for raceface. Shimano can have cranks at $69 because they produce and sell 10 times as much product as Raceface.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Dimes to doughnuts these are also made by TruVativ in Taiwan. Note these discount Ritchey cranks are 170mm length only. This is quite a bit shorter than the standard 175mm but might work out for the vertically challenged. Both appear to be ISIS cranks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts