Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Style Network says that retro is in (WTB Dirtdrop content)

Will this count?

A few weeks ago I posted my new Wanga One build, which was my first jump into a disk equipped SS. Happy to say that everything with that has worked out great there. But it left me with an unbuilt 1X1 frame laying around. Pretty soon, as I am accustomed to do, I started doing an inventory on leftover parts all the while thinking about my next potential project bike. Well needless to say to those who frequent this board there has been alot of recent discussion about drop bar equipped single-speeds. Always a sucker for oddities I figured what the hell, with 95% of the parts laying around I might as well see what the fuss is about.

A few short weeks later with the acquisition of some WTB Dirtdrops via Ebay I managed to cobble together the ride pictured here. I think it turned out ok, and my first and only ride so far suprised me with how natural the handlebars feel while riding. I like the "swoopy" feeling of carving turns with so much weight on the front wheel. It is a little harder to manage during efforts of lifting the front wheel up on things, but there is trade offs with any type of bar setup I suppose. Its also been interesting getting used to a rigid fork again, but I like the idea of having a bike set up with each - keeps from having to make a choice in the most debated topic on this board! I do think I will step up to a 2.5" tire eventually, probably a Conti Desiel which seems to work well in the rocky Austin area. All in all I think I set the bike up okay, but if any of you who have more experience with drops have any suggestions based on the pictures please speak up.

Notes on the set up:
-Dia compe 287 levers.
-about 45mm of HS spacers
-135mm by 130 degree salsa moto ace stem I have been swapping between a 120mm as well trying to figure out which I like. The 135 puts the top of the bar level with the seat more or less, the 120 drops it slightly below. I am leaning toward the higher setup.
-Also my favorite part besides the bars is the "custom" bash guard crankset which took about 10 minutes on a bench grinder to make.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Using the bigring of those LX cranks as a bashguard is a great idea. I have three sets of worn out cranks awaiting coversion. I might try an angle-grinder, I'll try not to hurt myself. ;) Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kingfurby said:
Using the bigring of those LX cranks as a bashguard is a great idea. I have three sets of worn out cranks awaiting coversion. I might try an angle-grinder, I'll try not to hurt myself. ;) Thanks for the tip.
It was really easy, just watch you don't grind too much since it removes the material really fast. I think a dremel would work as well but slower.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
another way to do it

grinding's one way to go. last few times I made bashguards out of big rings, I first busted off the teeth one by one with a vise grip, and just used a file to finish the job.

with drit drops, higher is always better. yet to see someone with their bars too high.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
wow...nice Surly!!

I like the black. I really really like the WTB bars on that black beauty! And, that Salsa stem is a work of art!

I'm thinkin' about building one up just like that. I'm envious. Oh...wait. Does your's have a cousin in Arizona??????

I'll certainly try the 135mm stem next.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xrmattaz said:
I like the black. I really really like the WTB bars on that black beauty! And, that Salsa stem is a work of art!

I'm thinkin' about building one up just like that. I'm envious. Oh...wait. Does your's have a cousin in Arizona??????

I'll certainly try the 135mm stem next.
I know, I copied yours to get the angle on the bar setup =P

I dig yours too! But I'll leave the fixed stuff to you for now.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Copy is good. I'd like to thank you for first tryin' out the 135mm stem thing!

I'll order one up soon. Nice bikes, both. Fixie is addictive...no doubt...don't try it!

ATXSS said:
I know, I copied yours to get the angle on the bar setup =P

I dig yours too! But I'll leave the fixed stuff to you for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.