Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my latest eBay score. I bought it for Styff Carbon lowers and I know nothing about the Klein Steerer. Anyone happen to know anything about the Steerer/Crown? Did they come in different sizes? Is it worth anything?

Thanks,
jw

Attachments

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,758 Posts
Crown's Probably Worth More Than The Rest Of The Fork

You'll have no problem unloading that. Yes they did come in different sizes.
Hard to tell the size from the pic but that's probably for a Large MC2 frame. I'm sure Carsten can tell you for sure.

G

·
Shayne said:
You'll have no problem unloading that. Yes they did come in different sizes.
Hard to tell the size from the pic but that's probably for a Large MC2 frame. I'm sure Carsten can tell you for sure.
it came on a medium MC2 Mantra Pro, 120mm head tube length. it did not have too much spacers so it will only fit XS, S and M MC2 Kleins. i think the steerer tube length was listed in the auction. i personally think the lowers are worth much more than the crown. infact i dont think there is any cooler suspension fork around...

Carsten

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information Gentlemen.

This is only the 2nd set of Styff Carbon lowers I've ever seen for sale, so I jumped at the chance. I'll post a photo of the fork once I have it built up and insalled on my Bontrager Single Speed. Looks like it will be a 2002 SID SL w/ a Bontrager Judy SL Crown and Styff Carbon lowers. :D

jw

Carsten said:
it came on a medium MC2 Mantra Pro, 120mm head tube length. it did not have too much spacers so it will only fit XS, S and M MC2 Kleins. i think the steerer tube length was listed in the auction. i personally think the lowers are worth much more than the crown. infact i dont think there is any cooler suspension fork around...

Carsten

·
1,476 Posts
Carsten said:

Carsten
Darn it, i was thinking large mc2 too. Thanks for the lesson carsten!!

Great score GrumpyOne.
Its a shame it cant stay on a klein though.
You bought it not having the foggiest clue if it would work out. I almost did the same but i let it slide off the bottem of my watch list. O-well.
Good luck. And let us see a pic when you get it all done.

If it cant work out, Please, i would like to buy it. I would pay a good sum for it.
I have bike it could slide right into.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
GrumpyOne said:
Thank you for the information Gentlemen.

This is only the 2nd set of Styff Carbon lowers I've ever seen for sale, so I jumped at the chance. I'll post a photo of the fork once I have it built up and insalled on my Bontrager Single Speed. Looks like it will be a 2002 SID SL w/ a Bontrager Judy SL Crown and Styff Carbon lowers. :D

jw
Could do me a huge favor! A friend of mine has been looking for a set of those lowers for a long time. I sent him the auction but he didnt win of course. I wont ask you to sell them, but do you think you could you weigh just the lowers? The previous owner wouldnt bother to do so.

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem. When I strip the fork down to clean and assemble the lowers on another crown, I'll weigh it and post back here.

jw

TheRedMantra said:
Could do me a huge favor! A friend of mine has been looking for a set of those lowers for a long time. I sent him the auction but he didnt win of course. I wont ask you to sell them, but do you think you could you weigh just the lowers? The previous owner wouldnt bother to do so.

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Styff weight and Photos

Finally got the fork stripped down and put back together. The lowers with Ti Posts, Enduro seals, and double lower bushing installed weighed in at 419g. Not sure how that compares to standard lowers, as I don't have a set on hand. The Styffs have kind of an interesting setup in that they have a carbon spacer tube installed below the bottom/lower bushing to set and maintain the bushings position in the leg. And they take all upper bushings (i.e. larger diameter) in both the upper and lower positions.

Pictures:
1) Complete bike
2) InstalledCarbon tubes from under the lower bushings
3) Carbon spacer tubes from under the lower bushings
4) Weight

jw

TheRedMantra said:

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
GrumpyOne said:
Finally got the fork stripped down and put back together. The lowers with Ti Posts, Enduro seals, and double lower bushing installed weighed in at 419g. Not sure how that compares to standard lowers, as I don't have a set on hand. The Styffs have kind of an interesting setup in that they have a carbon spacer tube installed below the bottom/lower bushing to set and maintain the bushings position in the leg. And they take all upper bushings (i.e. larger diameter) in both the upper and lower positions.

Pictures:
1) Complete bike
4) Weight

jw
:eek:
Wow. That is a knock out build!
It just looks fast. I'm not a Bonty guy, but that is one classy build up!

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Post your specs, please

GrumpyOne said:

Pictures:
1) Complete bike
4) Weight

jw
Very Nice

What are the wheels/rims? Looks like XT parralax with new mavic? 719? Onza HO brakes, Avid SD Ulitimate levers?

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

The wheels are Mavic 517 Ceramics w/ Paul hubs (Word Single Speed).
The brake setup is Paul Motolites w/ Avid SD Ulitimate levers.

jw

Lutarious said:
Very Nice

What are the wheels/rims? Looks like XT parralax with new mavic? 719? Onza HO brakes, Avid SD Ulitimate levers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.