Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got a used xtr rear der. off ebay and it came with a lx deore front der. My bike has a stx front der. on it. What's the difference between them and which is better. THANKS.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the LX line has been discontinued in favor of the STX moniker. LX was alway a heavier and fit in the price point just below the XT line which cheapened it's reputation. As the XT line was usually the cost effective alternative to the XTR the LX line became neglected. Hence the transformation by the marketing geniuses at Shimano. Shimano merged the Saint line and the LX line to create an All mountain "heavy duty" line of parts they called STX. So in comparison to the LX derailleur you mentioned, they should be about the same weight with the STX being a newer component perhaps a little bit lighter based on the trickle down theory of technology.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Yes, STX is an older group, while SLX is the new group that combines Hone and LX.
STX is an 8 speed specific dérailleur and has a wider cage that won't shift quite as cleanly with the newer 9 spd stuff.

·
ride your bike
17 Posts
stx= 8 speed:nono:
lx= 9 speed :thumbsup:

stx= old class (late 90's) :nono:
lx= the other year:thumbsup:

stx= heavy:nono:
lx= ligther, durable :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.