Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
I liked that shiny finish on the STX canti brakes. Apparently they don't have a great need for braking power, this other bike is set up with the stock high Shimano straddle cable.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tl1 said:
I liked that shiny finish on the STX canti brakes. Apparently they don't have a great need for braking power, this other bike is set up with the stock high Shimano straddle cable.

That hole drilled through the Deda stem is a bit scary. I get panic attacks on fast road descents thinking that my latest super light stem is going to break or the tiny 4mm bolts are going to shear off without having a hole drilled down the center of the dang thing.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Nice custom drilled cable 'stop' on the stem there. I am kinda surprised they used STX canti's but then there isn't a great need for these guys to stop, only to slow down.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rumpfy said:
See! See! :D
And you guys were making fun of my STX front der...Not so funny anymore is it!
Shhhh...if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll let you in on a secret. I've got an STX front derailleur on my wife's Salsa.

·
Registered
779 Posts
ssmike said:
Shhhh...if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll let you in on a secret. I've got an STX front derailleur on my wife's Salsa.
stx on a salsa? bad collector...bad...bad....bad! ;)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vdubbusrider said:
stx on a salsa? bad collector...bad...bad....bad! ;)
All in the name of keeping her happy with a bike that is mechanically sound (STX front mech, Sram ESP 9.0 twist shifters and rear mech, first gen XT compact ring crankset (because it was 170mm, XTR M950 hubset, Allsop stem w/ RockShox susp seat post, WTB roller rear, 985 cantis front, SS5 levers)

Is a collector someone who obtains items for the sake of building a collection or is it someone who just hangs on to stuff they obtain along the way? Pack rat vs collector?

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Do you remember Miquel Martinez?? The little french guy riding for Sunn and Comme�al?? He always used canti's. His last Commen�al with canti's before switching to discs, were stx's and lx's as well. I asked the mechanic why those... his reaction was due the fact that he couldn't get any others anymore (XTR and such)....

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Jeroen said:
Do you remember Miquel Martinez?? The little french guy riding for Sunn and Comme�al?? He always used canti's. His last Commen�al with canti's before switching to discs, were stx's and lx's as well. I asked the mechanic why those... his reaction was due the fact that he couldn't get any others anymore (XTR and such)....
Ya, I remember "little Mig" and his cantis. Was it a weight thing? I dont think cantis ended up much lighter than a V brake did it?

Mechanically speaking, or leverage-wise, there is really no difference between XTR and LX or STX. Well, the XTR did have the longer front arms, but besides that, they are mechanically the same. I think the only differences are tolerances, finish, better hardware/materials. Braking power should be 99% the same with maybe slightly more friction and slop on the cheaper units.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
~martini~ said:
Nice custom drilled cable 'stop' on the stem there. I am kinda surprised they used STX canti's but then there isn't a great need for these guys to stop, only to slow down.
I don't know about that, the Hell of the North is known for good sized pile-ups. There was one this year.

So ssmike, is the low-end deraileur on the wife's bike intended to stear her towards an ss by the persuasion of crappy shifting? Pretty crafty.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I don't know about that, the Hell of the North is known for good sized pile-ups. There was one this year.

So ssmike, is the low-end deraileur on the wife's bike intended to stear her towards an ss by the persuasion of crappy shifting? Pretty crafty.
i always thought stx shifted rather nice. heavy but accurate.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boy named SSue said:
A single speed bike is not in her future. But that little STX f/d does a bang up job of getting the chain to the granny in times of need. Trust me, I don't want any parts on her bike that will result in a cell call from the middle of a ride to come and get her. :D

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
ssmike said:
A single speed bike is not in her future. But that little STX f/d does a bang up job of getting the chain to the granny in times of need. Trust me, I don't want any parts on her bike that will result in a cell call from the middle of a ride to come and get her. :D
It seems like front derailleur springs vary in strength even across the same model line. Some of my bikes have a strong spring and will really downshift and some need really light pedaling to get the chain to drop. Ive never investigated as to which ones are good and which are bad but its kind of a crapshoot it seems. There are so many FD configurations. Sometimes the cheap ones shift the best up front. My latest XT FD doesnt do too good under power.

There are probably lots of variables like even seat tube angle coming into play here as well.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
It seems like front derailleur springs vary in strength even across the same model line. Some of my bikes have a strong spring and will really downshift and some need really light pedaling to get the chain to drop. Ive never investigated as to which ones are good and which are bad but its kind of a crapshoot it seems. There are so many FD configurations. Sometimes the cheap ones shift the best up front. My latest XT FD doesnt do too good under power.

There are probably lots of variables like even seat tube angle coming into play here as well.
I'll give you a little hint.
The letters start with 'S', and end with 'X'... :p

I've known all along...

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rumpfy said:
I'll give you a little hint.
The letters start with 'S', and end with 'X'... :p

I've known all along...
Yeah, what he said. Middle initial T. Some of Shimano's front derailleurs had the spring tension set on a cam that you could increase (or decrease) with a 4mm allen. Can't remember which ones specifically, but at least at the XTR level.

·
artistic...
7,634 Posts
does that tire need any clearance??

why not a standard reach brake anyway? but then...these guys were racing PR and i'm typing and scratching my growing belly..what do i know

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
colker1 said:
why not a standard reach brake anyway? but then...these guys were racing PR and i'm typing and scratching my growing belly..what do i know
If it is rainy/muddy, clearance is a definite issue. Check out the mud encrusted Colnago from the 98 running of the race - can you imagine leaving the mud intact for 7 years. In fact, if you haven't done so, check out Ernesto Colnago's personal collection. I wonder what the Pope's old bike would fetch on ebay.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.