Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to find a 36 spoke, Sturmey Archer, kickback hub for a wheel I want to build up. I have mixed feelings about my current kickback wheel, but I thought a larger wheel for mainly goofing around and commuting on would be fine, but 36 spokes seem to be in short or non-existent supply.
But then I found, on a couple of European bike shop sites, mention of the 36 spoke automatically shifting hub, like the old Sram/Sachs Automatix.

Model number A2KAM or A2K. I believe there's a disk and rim brake model. It does not appear, at least where I could find it, on Sturmey Archer's site. For my use, automatic shifting sounds better than kickback. No more wondering if you're still in high gear halfway up a hill. No more trying to downshift only to find you were already in low gear, and now you've upshifted. But with so few legit-sounding references to the hub, I wasn't sure it actually existed. I found one that I could get shipped, though, and decided to take a chance.

It appears to be a real thing. It's not in a wheel yet, so I don't know how well it works. It might be a while before I get that done, too, although I'm anxious to try it, so we'll see. But at least it seems to be an actual product, and not a figment of someone's imagination.
IMG_4365.jpg

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird, it's not on their website but seems to exist. NOS?
I think new old stock would still show up in some fashion on their website. It would just be in older catalogs, listings, and support documents. When I go to download their catalog, the most current one listed is 2018, and no mention of the automatic 2 speed. Also, while I can't claim to have perfect, or even great recall of all the available hubs, I do pay attention to gear hubs in particular, and I don't remember Sturmey ever having an automatic 2 speed. That was always a Sram/Sachs thing, I thought.

Also, when researching this, I did find one Facebook post from a bike shop within the last year touting this as a new product. So I don't think it's old stock, but it remains very odd that it appears to exist, but there's no mention on the SA site.

I half expected that when I ordered one, I'd either find that I never received it or that it ended up being an S2K. I'm still not going to know for certain that it works as advertised until I build the wheel. Really tempted to open it up, but that is also easier to do with it built into a wheel, so I'll probably wait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts