·
Live to Ride-Ride to Live
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sturgis
BAM 08'

BIKES, ART, MUSIC
Sturgis "City of Riders" July 12th 2008

Sturgis will be hosting the Sturgis BAM 08' July 12 2008 at various areas throughout the City. BAM will bring together on the same day, multiple venues that compliment each other well. The full day event will offer a variety of entertainment options catering to a broad range of people.

9:30 AM Recreation Riders Rendezvous
free
Mountain Bike Riders of all ability will be able to participate free of charge in guided Trail Rides. Rides will start from "Mikes Place" on the Sturgis Main Street, and last from 1 ½ -2 ½ hours depending on the ride. A limited number of first come first served seats are available for a point to point shuttle option on Centennial Trail.

11:30AM Riders X
$15
A new to the area, Mountain Bike Four Cross event will be held on the Jackpine Gypsies club grounds. The course will offer more than 200 feet vertical drop and incorporate several sections of a modern MX track. Riders will be placed in heats of four riders by age, gender, and ability. The top two heat places transfer to the next bracket until a four person main event determines the top finishers for each class. Practice will be held 1 hour before the event.

Noon Music and Arts Events
free
The Sturgis Center for the Arts will offer a wide variety of live music all day long beginning at noon and ending at 11:00 PM in the City Park. A different performer will be featured every hour with music genres including classic rock, country, jazz, folk, etc. Many arts related activities appealing to all ages will be ongoing and a wet paint auction will feature works created during the event. Art's and Crafts vendors will offer up their talents all day long too.

3:30PM Little Riders Rodeo
free
This is a kids, 12 and under bike skills event held at "Mikes Place" on the City of Riders, Main Street and it's free. Bike skills like the Slalom, Slow Ride, and Balance Beam will be tested. Sturgis Bicycle Police will offer a short "road rules" safety talk.

5:00PM Ride On Sturgis
$15
The streets and businesses of down town Sturgis will be the location of an Urban Mountain Bike Criterium. The race starts on Main Street near the Loud American and will take riders down several blocks of the internationally famous Sturgis Main Street, up alleys, across urban obstacles, and through the outside and inside areas of many businesses. All registered BAM participants are invited to participate in a pre-race practice/parade lap.

8:00PM Cycling Event Awards
Class winners of all cycling events will be recognized during a break in the music at the City Park.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bling, Bling, Game On!

Less than two weeks until BAM and things are working out!
This past weekend the 4X course took a huge leap forward. All the initial work is complete, and using the Moto-X track watering system everything will easily be ready by the 12th. The course is 22-25 seconds long, smooth, fast, and all sections can be rolled. There are no mandatory gaps to leap, and plenty of elbowroom should make for some good racing with plenty of passing opportunities.
It is amazing what a difference a few days makes, a big thanks goes out to Munroe Earthmoving, Jake, and thrillseeker, they helped make it happen! :thumbsup:

The 4X course is located on private property, preriding will not be allowed before July 12th. Practice for registered participants will begin @ 10:30AM the day of the event.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well this east river enthusiast may be able to make it! Sounds like you guys have done some great work! That in-town crit sounds like a great idea. Thanks for initiating some progression into the region!

·
Spreadin the love...
773 Posts
Man..there just really isn't enough hype goin on in here!!!! Seriously, if you guys could see that course you'd be blown away!
I can speak for my boy Jake and myself when I say that at the very least, the two of us are extremely pleased with how it turned out so far. Course still needs to be buffed and polished, but water and time will mostly take care of that. If I lived there I'd just sleep on course and sweep it every morning, give it a little bath each night and smooth out it's wrinkles before reading it a story...but I don't, so I can't... :(

I'd say the time may be a little bit off on the 4X course. The vid I got of the few test runs we got in show approx 20 seconds to half-track, and that WASN'T counting the new redirected starting gate line! So I would say that we're easily looking at 50 seconds of pure sprinting. Some of you may be smirking at that, but you have NO IDEA! Here's what you're up against:
Track starts out on the top of a hill. 4 riders all assuming the others are going to back off and let them take the lead. 20 feet out of the gate you'll drop in HARD to the left down a steep chute approx 20-25 feet wide. You'll then be screaming up to a small stepup over a crest. Small meaning the "jump" is just a little 6" tall wedgie of dirt that can allow for a solid 20-30 feet over the hill, while not gaining much more than 10" off the ground for those of you scared of heights! Keep in mind that all the jumps I decribe have been built to be rolled over. And just to kill all the whining right away, a 9 year old kid destroyed the course and lost less blood than I did on my first test run!
As you're bike settles back to Earth on the other side of the hill a berm will come into veiw. This has been aptly named the Sluice Box, as up to this point we are assuming all riders will still be neck and neck. The berm starts out tall and wide and narrows down to single rider width. We are assuming there will still be more than one rider trying to occupy this space at this point(fun!). The berm is essential to maintain speed for what is basically a 30' road gap(still rollable remember!). The road gap lies 50' away from the exit of the berm. The landing is hidden behind and below the launch, which as been dubbed "The Money Shot." The run between the Sluice Box and the Money Shot is off-cambered to the left, is flat run-in with the best line, and slightly uphill for a less than ideal line. So you'll be sprinting. And so will everyone else. Now you're airborn...and it's good, quality air. Jump doesn't kick too hard, doesn't feel flat, just sets you up there and let's go. But you have no time to smile, you gotta get those two wheels (or atleast the rear) back on the ground and chewing dirt. So you are now aiming for your line in the peach of all that was built: The Sugarbowl. What a work of art! Somehow machined out of the hill side with a BULLDOZER(operated by one Jake Rau, the self proclaimed "Wizard of Dirt" of Munro Earth Moving) is a bowl approx 30 feet long, 20 feet wide and maybe 10 feet deep. You will be privaledged enough to only experience this beautiful creation for only a single second before you get blasted back across a set of rollers/gap and into a double berm. Another work of art. 8' tall berm with a second berm built into the bottom of it. This is where the course starts to reveal its options to riders. What to do? Try to hold the low, tight line and maintain all the speed you entered with while risking dragging a grip or blowing out the top? Or take the high road and hope you can gain more speed dropping back in off the high berm? Decide fast, there's only 25' of line choice time between the exit gap out of the bowl and the double berm!
And now the course take on a new life. The top half was FAST and flowy, pedaling was only a basic instinct, but now, at the bottom, you find yourself staring at a wall of dirt 5' high and 40 feet away at the end of an uphill sprint. After miraculously claiming the top of the hill you find a short run to another one! From here on out you're pushing pedals and sucking air. You're cranking and weezing and bumping elbows with the guy on a 10 pound lighter bike while trying to choose your next line on a flat turn that feeds into the last jump of the race, and you know that after that jump is the final stretch: An 80 foot long, wide, flat corner to the left and to victory. All it takes is a tire slip and all your hard work and spent energy keeping the lead is gone, a mere 10 feet from the finish line.

Here's some pics!

Attachments

·
Spreadin the love...
773 Posts
cactuscorn said:
sounds kinda fun! wish i lived closer. good luck with the event.
You lose, The race is the morning of the 12th...the morning of the 11th I'll still be on the Canadian border of Lake Superior fishing! I'll be driving straight on thru, so you'll atleast beat me! I just hope I get there by start time! Hate to drive that far and miss it by 10 minutes! D'OH!

·
Spreadin the love...
773 Posts
Teaching gig? You think they'd let me TEACH!? Ha! Actually, I kinda wanted to be a Creative Writing teacher at one time...then I remembered I don't much like other peoples brats! OK, I'm kinda kidding on that a little sorta.

And romance? What is biking if a romantic affair it is not? There's passion and pain, dreams and disappointment, not to mention the torrid affair between man and dirt!

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thrillseeker said:
not to mention the torrid affair between man and dirt!
Beauty and the Beast... or is it the other way around!

Music sooths the savage beast, and Mountain Biker too!

Eleven hours of live music with a new band every hour will be offered in the City Park hosted by the Sturgis Center for the Art's during BAM. The list of performers includes the following.

Noon- Deadwood Outlaws (country/folk)
1PM- Ryan Pletan & Blues Review (blues)
2PM- Steve Thorpe (acoustic/folk)
3PM- Mike Linderman (acoustic)
4PM- Paul Larson (country/western)
5PM- Doug Thomas / Black Hills Bluegrass (bluegrass)
6PM- Exit 32 (classic rock)
7PM- Better Than Prozac (funk/rock)
8:30PM- Savage Nixon (punk rock/alt)
9PM- Subliminal Rebellion (hard rock) (Rage Against the Machine Tribute Band)
10PM- Synthetic Remains (metal)

And that's not all, there will be Arts and Crafts Vendors, Kids Music and Arts Workshops, and a Wet Paint Sale.

·
Spreadin the love...
773 Posts
Hey Deadman...what's the plan in case of RAIN? In case you can't guess, my opinion on that would be to throw the spikes on and RACE, but other's prob don't agree.
I've got one, maybe 1 and a half days of internet time before I head north into the great void to go fishing. I'll be cut off from smart people and technology in general so I need to know what to expect when I get back into a service zone and find out that it rained the day before or is expected to rain the day of. 16 hours is a lot of driving to look at a "Race cancelled" sign!
I'm not sure if you spoke with Jake about it, but the track stayed wet the ENTIRE day after you dampened it up a tad. The Sugar Bowl and the lower berm after that remained unrideable the rest of the day. So that may also suggest that perhaps we may need to just pee on the course or something between heats if it gets too dry. Water no good. If it rains...we should make it a Slip N Slide!

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The weather channel forecast for the 12th looks good!

The poor weather plan will be to stay the course if possible, the red clay around here does not dry quickly. I gave the course a good drenching Sunday AM, but by 4:30 conditions were prime. PM me and I will give you my cell # if you need updates on the fly.

BTW It looks like two roosters had a crowing match on the first big berm. What is the story?

Sat
Jul 12

Mostly Sunny

84°
61°

10%

From the East Northeast

12mph

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you think you can ride the trails… and the road offers no challenge.

Give the Ride On Sturgis Criterium at 5PM a try, bring your spare lungs though!
The course consists of ¾ mile of urban goodness, containing pavement, dirt, water, single track, teeters, ups, and downs. You will ride right through the three largest Main Street restaurants/bars, The Loud American, One-Eyed Jack's, and Knuckle Saloon. You read it right, through the bars! Even if you don't feel like competing, grab a table in one of these establishments eat dinner, toss down a cold one, and watch the action.
Remember good-natured heckling is encouraged!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Post some pics of the crits. I gotta see that. Sounds like fun... Are they setting up feed tables in the bars??? :)

Won't make this event. Mom and dad are out of town (in Russia), Kind of takes the dual purpose (family and biking) out of my trip, but I should be up for the Dakota 5-0.

·
Spreadin the love...
773 Posts
Deadman said:
BTW It looks like two roosters had a crowing match on the first big berm. What is the story?

Ugh. That damn berm! That would be me. I friggin lost it, freaked out and tore into that #[email protected]!^& with the pick ax. The PLAN was to tear it all out, then push it all back in, building it a little steeper and a little deeper. Plus, I wanted to mix it all up, there were silt holes and clay packs and I was getting grumpy with it. However...I discovered the hard way that the original berm is apparently made of old wood chips, hay bails and tires. Not cool! So, after Jake and I had ourselves a little tension breaking scrap in the dirt and rocks, we maturely decided that it was as good as it was going to get this time around and cut our losses. Jake kinda chopped in two lines in the front half of the berm and I went home soon after.
Please...feel free to rebuild that whole mutha! It sucks and it's the worst part of the entire track, AND it's the most important!

·
Spreadin the love...
773 Posts
Somethin had to give... and his cookies were in the way!
Now I'm all pissed off again. That berm beat me. Well, it beat me in the time frame that I had to work with it. I was seriously ready to pull that whole thing out by hand and put it back in. That's what it needs...

·
Spreadin the love...
773 Posts
Umm...who knows?
Put it this way, it took ROUGHLY 40some seconds and I didn't quite make it all the way to the finish at a dead sprint. I ended up about two feet from the finish line laying on my seat hoping there was more oxygen closer to the dirt. There was not. However, I was on a 42 pound, 10" travel machine, tired from digging dirt ALL day, and the course was still nothing more than track fodder from the dozer. And I'm fat and old. I think everyone will find the course is about 20 yards too long, the top half too fast, the bottom half too flat, the dirt too loose and the berms too flat....should make for a GREAT TIME!!!! It sucks that I'll prob be one of the first guys out! Ha!

I leave in 4 hours for Canada. Sounds like there's WIFI somewhere "near" my cabin and hopefully I can steal my mom's laptop once a day to check in. I finally talked the other two whole riders from east river into going and now I think they're actually excited for it.
Kevin, any chance you can get a flyer to ACME in Rapid? That younger crowd that rides Storm Mtn jumps need to know about this race, it's right up their alley. Also, will there be a skidloader on hand during/after the race? I've got a few things in mind....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.