1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I have the Big Earls. It depends which run you got. Until recently, I ran a set of Big Earls from 2004. Had no issues with it. Mine was ISIS. I believe 2005 is when they started using the Howitzer.

The Howitzer has problems with keeping the cranks secure though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
standard235 said:
Howitzer and ISIS are way different, my friend.
Indeed, I knew mine were ISIS but I didn't know how the Howitzer system worked. Thought maybe it was some kind of enhanced stronger bb that worked with ISIS or something. Anyway, I went with a Truvativ. Thanks for the input fellas. :cool:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Tag1 said:
I just bought a Big Earl crankset to replace the stock pos on my Bruiser...however, it didn't come with the BB. So I'm wondering what ISIS bb is good that I won't have to replace in a month after some abuse.

Bontragers site says the Big Earls have:

"Tru-Vativ Howitzer bottom bracket interface for absolute durability"
http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Components/Cranks/5805.php

Should I get the Howitzer? Anything better/preferable?
http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/bottombrackets/howitzer.php
have you had problems with regular fsa ones for around 50 bucks? i am a little bummed on my build i am doing now...a vagrant...i kind of wanted to try external cups. however, due to the width of the chain stays/crank clearance i wouldn't have been able to make it work.

so i ended up just getting an isis fsa 123 x 73. i am pretty light so i think it will serve me well.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tag1 said:
...and lots haven't. <shrug>

I've read pretty good reviews on the Truvativs holding up under pressure. Not sure about the FSA's.
Ive ran my FSA Platnuim pro for about a year now and its held up fine for FR ,i have started to notice a little play now lo,My Gigpipe did also hold up but the bearings started to go after about 5 months,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.