Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from another messy ride and I have been battling with a newbie question about this for about a month.

Whats the story on washing the bike down after a mud soaked ride? I have the Muc Off for the components, but should I stay away from hosing the whole thing down and then drying and relubing the parts? Or should I just stay away from water all together and just bit by bit clean the bike off?

Whats the official direction on getting a days worth of mud and muck off the rig?

Thanks...know its a really dumb question, but I don't want to mess up the new bike.

·
EDR
10,685 Posts
Wash your bike. Use hose water if you want, I have always done that. Don't direct high pressure spray directly on things with bearings like hubs, bottom bracket, headset area. Just use common sense and all will be well.

Note: make an effort NOT to get water down your seatpost area, this runs down to the bottom bracket and most do not have a drain hole.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
What about the trails?

underdogoc said:
Just got back from another messy ride and I have been battling with a newbie question about this for about a month.

Whats the story on washing the bike down after a mud soaked ride? I have the Muc Off for the components, but should I stay away from hosing the whole thing down and then drying and relubing the parts? Or should I just stay away from water all together and just bit by bit clean the bike off?

Whats the official direction on getting a days worth of mud and muck off the rig?

Thanks...know its a really dumb question, but I don't want to mess up the new bike.
If you're leaving ruts and packing muck on your bike, chances are you shouldn't be on the trails at all.

·
EDR
10,685 Posts
Ken in KC said:
If you're leaving ruts and packing muck on your bike, chances are you shouldn't be on the trails at all.
You should tell the horsie folks in northern Arizona this. Try riding 13 miles of singletrack with 8 inch deep hoof prints littering the trail every foot or so. I swear equestrians are the absolute worst trail stewards in all the land.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
most mud just falls off if you let the bike dry.

if you need to hose it off, pull out the seatpost and turn it upside down to get out any water that got inside the frame.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
underdogoc said:

just hose it off ASAP - if the mud is fresh, it'll just fall off. I don't like the argument of just letting mud dry... moisture will actually be on your bike longer overall than if you had just rinsed it. Like eatdrinkride said avoid getting water into seat tube - and don't go high pressure on bearing areas.
give the bike a few good bounces to shake off excess water - hit some areas w/ a rag if ya need to then let dry:thumbsup:

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
CheeseSoda said:
+1 for horse riders not giving a sh!t about the trails.
x2, but for some reason MTBers get a worse rap than horse riders.

i do like when the horse riders cross over onto the local bike trails and the horses crap everywhere.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
eat_dirt said:
x2, but for some reason MTBers get a worse rap than horse riders.

i do like when the horse riders cross over onto the local bike trails and the horses crap everywhere.
Maybe find some horse only trails and crap all over them. Fair is fair you know! :madmax:

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
dan0 said:
Don't know why, but everyone seems to miss the very first sticky at the top of the beginners forum, the one labeled" basic cleaning and maintenance guide"
real men don't read instructions.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
How the heck did "how do I best clean my bike" turn into "bash the equestrians yet again".

Just because *SOME* equestrians fudge up trails riding in the muck doesn't make it right for bikers to do the same. And just because a biker *MIGHT* have done this (fudged up a trail riding in too mucky conditions) doesn't make yelling about those *SOME* equestrians relevant to this thread.

To the OP:
I generally attempt to avoid hosing down my bike as I don't feel water is the best thing for it and it's normally never dirty enough to justify it. I just let the mud dry (normally is before I get home with the bike) and wipe it down with a damp cloth and clean the parts with a cloth and regrease/oil. I don't think a hose used with common sense will hurt a bike though and I've been known to use it to get the worst off frame and wheels when necessary (got stuck in a mudbog that shouldn't have been there while teaching a class. Yes to get that much mud on the bike involved hurting the trail; it was fireroad and was privately owned/maintained and fixed ASAP).

·
EDR
10,685 Posts
CougarTrek said:
How the heck did "how do I best clean my bike" turn into "bash the equestrians yet again".

Just because *SOME* equestrians fudge up trails riding in the muck doesn't make it right for bikers to do the same. And just because a biker *MIGHT* have done this (fudged up a trail riding in too mucky conditions) doesn't make yelling about those *SOME* equestrians relevant to this thread.
Sorry........I guess.

OP: Just wash the darn bike. Anyone who refuses to use water to wash a bike is just being anal retentive. :) It's not the space shuttle. Although I bet they wash that with water, I could be wrong. Maybe they use baby wipes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hosing it down is a great method. I see no problem with it. Just don't use high pressure, and be careful of this around the bottom bracket and bearings. You don't want to force water into these sensitive areas.

Using a very mild detergent should be fine as well, just as long as you make sure to let it dry and regrease/relube the required parts as needed. If you do this, also make sure you clean your chain properly and relube with wet or dry lube as needed. Don't let water sit on your chain!

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
dan0 said:
Don't know why, but everyone seems to miss the very first sticky at the top of the beginners forum, the one labeled" basic cleaning and maintenance guide"
You're crazy, whats next? Asking people to use the search or do a little bit of research on their own before posting?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
maintenence guide

dan0 said:
Keatan said:
You're crazy, whats next? Asking people to use the search or do a little bit of research on their own before posting?
I went and gave it a look... I scanned through it all and saw nothing about washing mud.
Did I miss it? If not, no need to be bashin' the OP

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Yep...quite right :) "If the whole frame is coated in mud then obviously it'll all need washing down." - right there in black and white. I just missed that section I suppose. (could happen to anyone :p )
Nice write up regardless Steve.
[Bash On!]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.