Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel stupid asking for the following question...but....

I have a Haro V4 and have no clue how the shifting mechanism works. It has two levers on each side. How do they work? Is part of it a clutch or something? I'm lost and don't want to break it when I start riding it.

<Ducks from the coming laughs, etc.>

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
on the right the bigger/longer lever is for shifting to an easier gear, the other is for shifting to a harder gear in the rear

on the left the bigger/longer lever is for shifting to a harder gear, the other is for shifting to an easier gear in front

hope that helps
DMR

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
You shouldn't feel stupid. We all need to be taught these things.

Along with what DMR posted - no clutch on your bike. Those levers are attached to cables that go to derailleurs. The shifter on the left moves the front derailleur (at/above the crank). The shifter on the right moves the rear derailleur (at the rear wheel axle). You'll notice a bigger change in effort needed to pedal by changing the front derailleur (left shifter), less with the rear derailleur (right shifter). Most people just shift the front derailleur (left shifter) so the chain is in the middle chainring on the crank, then do most shifting with the rear (right shifter).

Notice the pattern yet? :) (i'm trying to drill it into your head ;) )

Give it a try. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AndrewTO said:
You shouldn't feel stupid. We all need to be taught these things.

Along with what DMR posted - no clutch on your bike. Those levers are attached to cables that go to derailleurs. The shifter on the left moves the front derailleur (at/above the crank). The shifter on the right moves the rear derailleur (at the rear wheel axle). You'll notice a bigger change in effort needed to pedal by changing the front derailleur (left shifter), less with the rear derailleur (right shifter). Most people just shift the front derailleur (left shifter) so the chain is in the middle chainring on the crank, then do most shifting with the rear (right shifter).

Notice the pattern yet? :) (i'm trying to drill it into your head ;) )

Give it a try. :thumbsup:
I'll definitely head out tommorow and try it out. I'm so used to riding cheaper bikes that I didn't know such a nice shifter existed. What you both said makes total sense. Well...I can drive a stick on a car pretty well so I'm sure I can figure this out..lol. Thanks for not laughing at me (although I'm sure someone is laughing deep, down inside...like I am right now). Thanks again to you both!

Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.