Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solvang is coming up and this year my wife wants to ride the tandem like we did 6 years ago, so time on my fixie was been a premium. Well the wife is in LA and the kids are at grandma’s, so it was time for some quality time on the road. I also just mounted some new Conti 4000 and was anxious to break them in. The ride started out normal enough, but after about 2 miles out, when I hit the first little hill; it was like the life force was sucked out of me. I was struggling to get to the top. Hmmm, this is a 60 mile ride and its not starting out well. When I got to the top it didn’t get any better as I was struggling just to spin on the a flat!!. What the Fu** is going on? It’s like I’m riding…with…the brake….on…; but I only have a front brake and it’s fine; still…I look down at the bottom bracket and chain stays and the rear tire is rubbing on the stay; not just rubbing mind you but burning rubber off the tire. Damn. A small adjustment and I’m back to my old form again. I stopped about 25 miles down the road and better inspected the tire. The damage is somewhere between cosmetic and more than. I’ve included some pics so you can decide for yourself. Regardless I have a new one on order; I’m glad they are on sale. Has anyone else done anything this stupid?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
sorry this is off the subject, but is the front fork bent? your front tire looks a little close to the frame, just an observation.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the tyre either.

Nice cranks.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Captain_America1976 said:
that doesn't look right. it also looks like toe overlap is an issue too.
Thanks for the concern, but the fork is as it was designed and yes the toe overlap sucks. Take a look at most old school track bikes and you'll see that same overlap issue. http://www.keirinculture.com/gallery.shtml

Nonracerrichie said:
Is that a Rock Lobster? Nice rig.
No, not a Paul Sadoff frame. I aquired it from the next door neighbor who didn't know the history either. The frame has a Bicycle Odyessy (Sausalito, CA) on a chain stay protector sticker (IIII don't know why you would need one on a fixie" ; Bicycle Odyessy is an outlet for numerous custom bicycle frame makers. I sent them a photo but they couldn't ID it. I did show the bike to Paul and he said frame is a trainer of sorts, with the front having tight track geomtry but the rear is streched out. I've done numerous Centuries and 100k on the bike and it is very stable; you just have to point your toes up on slow speed turns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts