Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been riding for 15 years on hardtails and bunny hopping was never an issue. I've always been able to clear obstacles up to a 12 inches high. This year I switched to a full suspension rig and I can't for the life of me clear obstacles half as high. There must be a different technique to bunny hoping a full sus rig! Seems to me that the suspension is absorbing the energy intended for the hop.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You are correct that the suspension is absorbing the energy. That is why you have to preload the suspension and then use the energy from the suspension rebounding to your advantage.
Just before you get to the object you want to hop, compress the suspension by pushing down with the arms and legs and then as the suspension rebounds from the compression pull up on the bars and just as important, with the feet. If you are going fast enough your momentum will take you over the obstacle. If you aren't going very fast try to spring forward as well as up after you compress the suspension.
I hope this helps and I look forward to more replies to this post as I am just starting to get the hang of bunny hopping myself and could use any tips on technique.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, I can only get about 4 inches in raw bunnyhop on my FS. If I'm rolling in and compress, then lift more than hop, I can get 6 to 8, but it doesn't feel natural compared to a hardtail.

It's a different feel, but you can still get over many things the same old way, just not the big ones.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
Mikhs said:
You are correct that the suspension is absorbing the energy. That is why you have to preload the suspension and then use the energy from the suspension rebounding to your advantage.
Just before you get to the object you want to hop, compress the suspension by pushing down with the arms and legs and then as the suspension rebounds from the compression pull up on the bars and just as important, with the feet. If you are going fast enough your momentum will take you over the obstacle. If you aren't going very fast try to spring forward as well as up after you compress the suspension.
I hope this helps and I look forward to more replies to this post as I am just starting to get the hang of bunny hopping myself and could use any tips on technique.
That part is very important. The trick is to rip up on the bars to get the front off the ground and then kinda throw them forward to pick up the back. That's the trick to getting the back high enough to clear things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.