Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 5" trail bike for the rough singletrack riding and big climbs here in North Lake Tahoe. I am currently on a Racer X 80 and feel undergunned for the type of riding I am doing, ie. small jumps and drops, log pyramids, rocky trails, but don't want to be lugging around an overbuilt bike up the long and steep climbs. I no longer race.
I'm partial to the top three above due to sizing, but the Stumpy Pro is about $500 less than a similarly equipped BLT or Motolite. A few questions:

Is the Stumpy comparable in ride quality to the other two?

Is it possible to get a BLT disc below 26 lbs? The website says yes with an XO XC kit, for example, but my LBS says no way.

Is it possible to build up a Motolite disc below 26 lbs.? Same as above.

Rank each choice above by climbing ability and downhill ability.

Thanks!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
el chivo said:
I am looking for a 5" trail bike for the rough singletrack riding and big climbs here in North Lake Tahoe. I am currently on a Racer X 80 and feel undergunned for the type of riding I am doing, ie. small jumps and drops, log pyramids, rocky trails, but don't want to be lugging around an overbuilt bike up the long and steep climbs. I no longer race.
I'm partial to the top three above due to sizing, but the Stumpy Pro is about $500 less than a similarly equipped BLT or Motolite. A few questions:

Is the Stumpy comparable in ride quality to the other two?

Is it possible to get a BLT disc below 26 lbs? The website says yes with an XO XC kit, for example, but my LBS says no way.

Is it possible to build up a Motolite disc below 26 lbs.? Same as above.

Rank each choice above by climbing ability and downhill ability.

Thanks!
Well, I have a Stumpjumper FSR 100 and a Titus Moto Lite. Both weight around 30 lbs according to my bathrom scales, so it's not very precise. I think I could have shed some pound by choosing a ligher wheelset and pedals (I have the Shimano 647... very heavy, but nice). I think you could expect 27-28 pounds on a medium Moto Lite, if you want it to last and are expecting some tough use.

I haven't riden the Blur, so I cannot say anything on that regard.

The Stumpjumper is a very fun bike to ride and, while it's not the Enduro, it can do some tough trails. It is very stable, nice to peddal, absorbs hits pretty well, good at cornering. Having said that, the Moto Lite is way better in frame, handling. To be fair, I bought the lowest FSR speced Stumpjumper and put some disc brakes, while I put some nice stuff on the Moto Lite, but didn't go over the board. Anyway, I really like both bikes, and I'm selling my Stumpy because both bikes are similar (full suspension, HL machines) and I can't justify keeping both.

A benefit for the ML would be the higher BB over the Stumpjumper. I pass without problems rocky sections I had to be carefull with the Stumpie.

IMO, if you can afford the ML it would be better than the Stumpjumper, but that's like saying that an Audi A4 is better than a VW Passat. BOTH cars are pretty well designed, drive awesome and are good looking, but the A4 it's just has better refinements and, finally, a better car. Wich reflects in the wallet :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts