Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a stock 13' Stumpy FSR Comp, I'm looking at a Carbon bar upgrade to smooth out chatter for those longer rides. Enve seems to be a well liked brand of carbon components so I am looking at their RSR (riser) bar. I'm open to other suggestions, but this is my first choice right now. Here's my question, how much will I notice the difference in the "fit" of these bars vs the stock as some of the numbers are slightly different. I currently like my set up, fit wise, so I don't want to monkey with it too much. It appears they should feel pretty similar to me, but not sure, hence the question.

Specs: Specialized Bar || Enve Bar

Width: 720mm || 740mm (I'm assuming I could cut these down if needed)
Rise: 10mm || 23mm
Sweep 10-degree back / 6-degree up || 9-degree back / not sure? Is this the TIP measurement listed as 5-degrees?

Stumpy Specs: Specialized Bicycle Components
Enve Specs: ENVE Carbon Riser Bar

On a side note, I already picked up some XT Brakes to replace the freaking Avids which I'll install at the same time as the new bar, can't wait.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I myself just ordered an iodine 11 carbon. I ordered 780 but they make a 740. I'm running a 780 now on my trail bike and, if that trail feel is what you're going for, a shorter stem and wider bar was the best decision I ever made.

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think EC70 is a great option. I rode the ENVE 20mm riser and then swapped to EC70. Cannot tell a lick of difference. (Basically I bought my bike from a family member who wanted to keep the ENVE but I wanted to test ride first).
Same sweep, similar rise (23mm ENVE, 20mm EC), similar weight (740mm ENVE = 185g, 685mm EC = 155G).... at ~10g per 10mm I would say weight is about the same, 1/3 the cost at Bluesky

The only drawback is if you want a 740... obviously that is different. I use 640mm + 90mm stem on my SS rigid, and 685mm + 80mm on my HT Stumpjumper Comp 29'er.

https://www.blueskycycling.com/product/7108/41/Easton_EC70_XC_Carbon_Handlebar_2013.htm

If you don't need a 740, the EC on Bluesky is a steal. Weight is spot on also

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
i answered form my phone before and must not have read your post entirely, i apologize. to answer your actual question as to whether the rider position will change, your upper body will be generally in the same position before cutting the bars. think about this. hunch over, put your hands in a certain position. consider this stock. now raise them up about 13mm each, and out about 10mm each. so the only real difference you will feel is that your actual arms will be open wider and your wrists will be angled differently due to the different sweep.

if you take hiroshima's advice above, you will feel a bit mroe difference. steering will be slightly slower given the narrower bar and, your chest will be a bit more compressed.your upper body will also be slightly more upright, shifting your weight ever so slightly back...

mind you, these are all relatively minute changes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Whoops, I didn't click on the link that showed the OEM specs are 720mm and the OP liked the setup already. IMHO between two rides on a 740 straight to a 685... I really could not tell a whole lot of difference. As the person above me mentioned.... the difference is pretty slight... as in I didn't notice anything. If I rode back to back, I am sure I would have felt something. 55mm is not trivial.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ran Haven carbons for about a year on my Stumpy FSR 29, they felt great. Just put on Thomson all mt. carbons and love them even more.

Something about the stock bars that came on my bike felt extremely awkward so I pulled them off almost immediately.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran Haven carbons for about a year on my Stumpy FSR 29, they felt great. Just put on Thomson all mt. carbons and love them even more.

Something about the stock bars that came on my bike felt extremely awkward so I pulled them off almost immediately.
I can't say that mine feel bad or awkward, but I think after a long day, the chatter and vibration add up to increased fatigue, so I think the carbon will be a nice addition. Seems like everyone that has carbon bars love em.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have been running Specialized SWORKS carbon bars for a while and i love them.
They're good bars and the fit is going to be EXACTLY the same as what you have.
I found my fit with my aluminum bars and then switched and it didnt change a bit.
They're worth looking into, for sure.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Yep. See above, that was my suggestion. I ordered mine from lbs (in 780) and it should be in Tuesday, I will give report then, I can already say that the weight is excellent and the sweep looks perfect for at least my wrists.

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Iodine 11 carbon mid rise 740 mm is the perfect example of what to get.
Ah yes, the Iodine's, those were totally off my radar, thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to the list.

I have to admit, aesthetics is somewhat a factor, and with that in mind, I am digging the Enve's and Thomson as well. I like the Chromags, but they may be a bit heavy (for carbon) for my needs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I picked up Crank Brother Cobalt 11 Carbon bars as well . 15mm rise and 780 width Matched with the 70mm iodine 3 stem from CB and it's a nice pair . Haven't mounted anything yet .

Through their upgrade special they are having I was able to get any cockpit items for 50%off .

I upgraded my pedals from the old style mallets to the candy 3 for $50 .

Great deals and great products from CB

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just put on a renthal carbon lite fat bar. 740 width. Was originally going to cut it down a bit, but after two rides I've decided that I really feel good with it. Very nice bars.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the Renthals , always had those for my motorcycles. Only problem is color matching . Can you post up a picture with your bars and bike ?

Thanks
Just put on a renthal carbon lite fat bar. 740 width. Was originally going to cut it down a bit, but after two rides I've decided that I really feel good with it. Very nice bars.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My bike originally came with the specialized carbon bars which I really liked . Only problem is that I decided to cut them down from 720mm to 690 mm . After a few riders I realized I made a big mistake . Front end didn't feel as stable at higher speeds and cornering was harder . Wish I never cut them down , big difference going to a 780mm wide bar now though . Still haven't mounted them yet . g
I have been running Specialized SWORKS carbon bars for a while and i love them.
They're good bars and the fit is going to be EXACTLY the same as what you have.
I found my fit with my aluminum bars and then switched and it didnt change a bit.
They're worth looking into, for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts