Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hmmmm.....
Just last week, I let all the air out of my suspension to make sure there was no binding...and saw that it got very close to the frame there.

I did bottom the shock lightly on the first ride I did....but nothing hit.

I guess it will hit with a full load, or, maybe some of the frames are a little out of alignment during production....D'ooahh!

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Now you've got me wanting to dash home to check mine! :confused:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Well, I let all the air out of mine and sat on it and bounced. Nothing hit....but it is brand new, so maybe a little wear and tear will change that.
Do yourself a favor and make sure everything is tight, a slightly loose bolt or bearing will cause this...and maybe swing it by a dealer to see what they say( if you have a "good" dealer).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do....come to think of it...the main pivot bolt has come loose before and also did so on the test bike. I wonder if it bottoming it out when this bolt was loose caused the damage?

Interesting..i'lll go have a play.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
I finally got around to checking mine. I have a small nick on both sides, located in the same spot as yours. My nicks are much smaller than yours.

I let all of the air out of my shock and compressed the rear as far as it would go and didn't feel or hear it hitting. I did notice that the clearance between the inside of the shock link and the frame is VERY, VERY close. If a little bit of mud gets in there, it's going to scratch the paint on the frame for sure.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Hmmm

UKstumpyRider said:
Bit of a design fault there then you reckon?

Fortunately i'm already waiting for a new frame due to the lacquer flaking off on the one i've got! :rolleyes:
I've been looking at that 120. It's probably fine. When you get your replacement
take the bolt off and apply a drop of loctite (not the permanent type), to the thread

·
Registered
38 Posts
Me too

UKstumpyRider said:
Anyone noticed this after bottoming their rear shock out?

Not good i reckon! :confused:
Yes, Ive got the exact chip as you! She's due for her first major service next week, so will get the Tech to check out - thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's good to know i'm not the only one out there, but unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem.

Anyone any suggestions on this, and how Specialized should be approached about it?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Specialized has fix for that

UKstumpyRider said:
Anyone noticed this after bottoming their rear shock out?

Not good i reckon! :confused:
My LBS emailed them, and they're sending out within 30 days, new linkages for the 120's.
They also told me they'd warranty any damaged frames

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
My LBS emailed them, and they're sending out within 30 days, new linkages for the 120's.
They also told me they'd warranty any damaged frames
Whoa, new linkages? Did they explain if they were being sent to the individuals who purchased 120's (presumably from warranty registration info), or to the LBS's?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Specialized is sending new linkages to bike shops

and applying warranty coverage to those damaged frames.

Contact the shop where you purchased your bike.

I don't work for Specialized, but I did contact the LBS here, they emailed S, and the owner rcvd a call. Apparently, they were "quite concerned", and resulted in this.

I don't know if they were already aware of the problem, or if this call made them plan a redesign and new linkages.

So I can add the Stumpy 120 back to my short list........

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we can call that job done eh fellas? :)

Just one more reason to own a Specialized i reckon. They listen to the customers!

BTW mtnbkrdr98, are you based in the states or the UK, plus should my LBS here in the UK be aware of this by now? Too late to ring them now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UKstumpyRider said:
I think we can call that job done eh fellas? :)

Just one more reason to own a Specialized i reckon. They listen to the customers!

BTW mtnbkrdr98, are you based in the states or the UK, plus should my LBS here in the UK be aware of this by now? Too late to ring them now.
I'm another Stumpy 120 Pro owner from the UK. I haven't noticed any nicks caused by the rear shock on my bike, but I'm interested in knowing what you're LBS said to you about this - are they aware of this issue - are they giving you the redesigned linkage? I'd also be interested in knowing if ayone else has got this problem (or not).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Linkages

kramer2 said:
After a closer look there are tiny and I mean tiny nicks. Spoke to Specialized UK and they said they'd mail me the new linkage (with cutouts) when they arrive in the UK next week.
I gather from what you have said above, that the new linkage, is in fact the same as the original, but with a slice machined out of it?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.