Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently ride an 09 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26" (which is for sale) and looking to upgrade soon to a 29" or wait for a 600b full suspension bike.

I ride the trails up in the northeast (NY/NJ). I'm more of a playful rider and use platforms (love jumps, boulder drops and descents). Hate climbs but up in the NE you really have no choice unless you decide to strictly do downhill.

I'm looking for a new bike that will help with the climbs but will still be playful and agile just like I'm used to. Budget is under 3,000.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

I had my heart set on a 13/14 Stumpy FSR EVO Comp 26" but then after talking to my LBS, I'm stuck between the following...

2014 Stumpjumper FSR EVO Comp 29" (aluminum)
  • More travel
  • Better Components
  • Dropper Post
OR
2014 Niner RIP 9 - 1 Star X7 (aluminum)
  • Less travel
  • Cheaper Components
  • Lighter?
OR
2015 600b bike release

There is so much out there that it really gets confusing. I only have experiences with Specialized.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
188 Posts
i was in the same boat. looked at those two bikes and ended up going with the trek fuel. the camber has real crappy specs for the price. but go with what you like the feel of. i like to ride real aggressive and jump around a lot so i thought the 650b would be awesome. i demoed one and hated it.. it was a little more fun but i couldnt keep up with my friends on 29ers.maybe i was just slow that weekend and maybe i should of demoed more bikes. i feel the little bit more playfulness a 650b is isnt worth what you give up everywhere else.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
I'd go with the niner. Ive owned several fsr 29ers and recently picked up a closeout rip 9. The rip climbs very well and stays more active. I also like to jump and hop off trail features and find the rip to be a nice balance of plush and still playful. It doesnt soak up all your energy when you preload to bunny hop like some plush bikes can. I've owned a lot of fs 29ers - including bikes that were a lot more expensive - and none were better than the rip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.