Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to notice a creaking sound from my new stumpjumper on my last few rides. It is actually quite a challenge trying to determine where the sound is coming from while riding. Sometimes I think its up front, but tonight I'm confident it is coming from my Triad. Has anyone else noticed this? Or could it be coming from something else? It's hard to describe only other than it picks up as I began to pedal faster.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
my headset gets kinda gnarly if i forget to rinse the sweat after a ride, after about a week of forgetting it creaks like hell, take it apart and clean/lube just like the suggestions for the seatpost, also the bb cups could be doing some hollering grease or teflon tape work well. my seatpost squeaks periodically at the post/seat junction, take it apart (after noting measurements) clean and put back together i use some automotive non petroleum based anti squeal to keep crap out of the junctions, i find bolts loose all the time so check and reapply loktite as needed. blue for everything red for deraileur hangar bolts. here in az even my pedals creaked so clean and lightly lube them as well. and finally check how the shock sounds in plush. mine made a creaking sound when i compressed it in plush, so i lubed the piston wiped it dry and applied a rag soaked in said lube around the piston overnight. seals drank that up. hope that helps. rinse after rides

·
Explore More
393 Posts
bxb03a said:
I've started to notice a creaking sound from my new stumpjumper on my last few rides. It is actually quite a challenge trying to determine where the sound is coming from while riding. Sometimes I think its up front, but tonight I'm confident it is coming from my Triad. Has anyone else noticed this? Or could it be coming from something else? It's hard to describe only other than it picks up as I began to pedal faster.
Could be other things, but in all likelihood, it is the lower shock mounting point. It's the easiest thing to check for anyway. Just check and see if any of the bolts at the shock eyelets or linkage ends have loosened up (or if there is play in the linkage when you push down on or lift the bike by the seat). Simply tighten down the loose bolt or remove, loc-tite the threads and tighten down.

If you check out the manual on the SJ frame, it says that the bolts are supposed to be loc-tited. But, seems like many frames went out the factory door just torqued to spec without the loc-tite and have a way of backing out, causing creaking and play in the linkage.

There are plenty of past threads on the board that address this same issue.

Ride On!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input. I greased my seatpost and tightened the clamp and viola! I think that was the last place I would have checked as the source. I'm glad I got it fixed. That noise was starting to piss me off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.