Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were a couple threads I was following regarding creaking Specialized bikes. I have a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper, and I installed a Chris King aftermarket headset myself. It didn't just drop in, but it certainly was an easier press than other headset installations.

After suspecting loose headset cups, and a shop adjustment that didn't succeed, I finally called Chris King. The nice woman on the other line said most 2007 frames were not affected by the oversize headtube. She started rambling off some different things to check, and it clicked - carbon spacers! I removed them and installed steel spacers, and whaddya know the creak is gone.

Again proves to me I want no carbon on my mountain bike! If your shop is installing carbon spacers, and you get the creak, check these.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Chris King also supplies a teflon washer to go between the carbon spacer and the headset. This helps with creek too. Also - a little grease usually calms down the creek - just need to find "what" to lube!!

·
Doctor
264 Posts
I still use CF spacers, but eliminated the creak by loosening the allen-head screw that holds the top cap on the steerer tube/headset. Once you've installed the headset, torqued this screw, then tightened the steerer tube clamp (the stem in my case), this top cap is no longer essential. I left mine on, but tightened just enough to keep the top cap in place. --voila, no creak.

jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts