Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first 29er post!

Would like to here from anybody with time on these bikes as I found little on the comp evo online. I know they are close in spec's but being able to put 140mm on front of the comp seems appealing. I'm looking for a poppy playful bike but fear I may be limited by 120mm on front for the camber. This will be my first 29er so it's hard for me to gauge travel vs wheel size. I am only interested in the frame & whatever I build will have a pike. I'm just under 6'2" & would consider myself on the aggressive spectrum of trail riding.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are either available frame only?
Good question & I expected they were as I bought my stumpy evo 26 frame only. I see on their sight you can buy the camber non evo so that would just require the link to make evo. The stumpy comp evo not so sure. Is that just the link also? Don't know on that one. There's a huge spesh dealer here in Portland & they seem to be able to get whatever they want

·
The Boat or The Bike?
1,475 Posts
Depends on how fast and how chunky your trails are. If you like to go fast with bigger chunk and rocks get the Stumpy with more travel. I love my Camber, but want a little more travel. I'm in Bootleg Canyon outside Las Vegas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
No Clue Crew
7,711 Posts
We have a couple HUGE Specialized dealers here in Phoenix. Doesn't matter, they can only get the certain framesets that Spec. officially offers.

The Camber Evo is a little hot rod. If I needed more bike than that (which I did), I'd go straight to the Enduro (which I did).

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I've seen some bike shops get more latitude than others. They have been able to get me specific parts for my 26 evo where other shops could only get the entire bearing bolt kit for $125 so who knows. I was more suggesting they would have no problem getting me the evo link if I needed to go that route.

I have gotten to ride the new enduro (awesome awesome bike) but is just way more bike than I need. If South Mtn were my local trails then maybe

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on how fast and how chunky your trails are. If you like to go fast with bigger chunk and rocks get the Stumpy with more travel. I love my Camber, but want a little more travel. I'm in Bootleg Canyon outside Las Vegas.

Bootleg is definitely more gnar than what we got out here in the PNW. Have you had the chance to ride the stumpy at Bootleg as well?

·
The Boat or The Bike?
1,475 Posts
I have ridden the stumpy and also the Enduro. Enduro eats up EVERYTHING. I need to ride the stumpy again as it's been a while. But I think 140 will be enough for me on most days. If you get the Pike in 120 for the Camber it will probably be an amazing bike! That fork is awesome and very customizable. If you don't have big rocks and drops, the Camber is great, and climbs great too.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have ridden the stumpy and also the Enduro. Enduro eats up EVERYTHING. I need to ride the stumpy again as it's been a while. But I think 140 will be enough for me on most days. If you get the Pike in 120 for the Camber it will probably be an amazing bike! That fork is awesome and very customizable. If you don't have big rocks and drops, the Camber is great, and climbs great too.

That's why I'm stuck between the camber & comp evo. The comp evo seems like a good compromise at 135mm rear 140mm front. I have read what makes the camber so snappy though is that it has a different leverage ratio than the stumpy. Trying to sort it out....decisions decisions

·
The Boat or The Bike?
1,475 Posts
That's why I'm stuck between the camber & comp evo. The comp evo seems like a good compromise at 135mm rear 140mm front. I have read what makes the camber so snappy though is that it has a different leverage ratio than the stumpy. Trying to sort it out....decisions decisions
I can take the Camber down most of the XC trails here at Bootleg PRETTY fast. Only now am I realizing that more fork travel and a slacker head angle will let me get to the next level of speed down these same trails. And I'm talking about steep G-outs and big rocks to get over in the trails while holding good speed. If you don't mind slowing down over that bigger stuff, then the Camber rocks it! It only gets slowed down on the really big stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.