Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm considering getting either the Expert or Comp Stumpjumper 29er in carbon HT. I wouldn't be using it as a race bike, but just as an HT on days where I'm riding less challenging trails. Frankly getting a carbon MTB worries me a bit. But I see a lot of people riding them nowadays.

Anyways I weigh close to 200lbs and at times can push bikes pretty hard. Now I'm not saying I'd be hitting big jumps and stuff on an HT, but occasionally might go for something as big as a 2-3 foot drop on to flat ground which might be the most stress I'd put on the HT Stumpy. More often however there might be fairly aggressive descents in rough terrain where I'm not getting much air but things are going really fast and getting rather bumpy. If you're from So Cal think of the Luge trail in Orange County. Not much air on these trails but a pretty hefty repeated pounding especially given my weight.

However most of the time when I ride a HT bike it is on shorter rides, that aren't going to be very punishing on the frame.

My previous bike was a Ti SS (which I rode the crap out of), but I just can't build a Ti 29er for the same kinda money the Stumpies are selling for.

So what do you think? Am I gonna be pushing past the limits of the intended use of a carbon HT?

Thanks, Derek

·
Registered
7 Posts
2011 SJ Comp 29 Carbon - great bike and still going strong for 175lb rider. Upgraded wheels to Stan's Crest.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm 195lbs. and have been on a carbon comp HT all season. 12 races and a thousand + training miles and it's still a lightning fast rocket. I've raced the hell out of this bike and laid it down a couple times that harder than I care to admit. I don't think their is anything more to worry about than any other material.

Go for it, you won't believe how stiff and responsive they are...I mean scary fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.