Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not if there is a big price difference. I suspect that I'll be able to pick up a nice deal on a '04. If that is the case, I will consider foregoing the extra 20mm. I just thought I'd wait it out and see what the 120 is like since it isn't too far off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
horns said:
Not if there is a big price difference. I suspect that I'll be able to pick up a nice deal on a '04. If that is the case, I will consider foregoing the extra 20mm. I just thought I'd wait it out and see what the 120 is like since it isn't too far off.
Thanks, as i had just bought an 04 pro frame just before the news on the 120mm was released. anyways had ridden my bike and it just rocks!

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
From what my LBS is telling me, there's about a $200 difference between the SJ Expert 100 and the SJ Expert 120.

The differences between the two in spec are:

Fox F100 vs Fox Talas RL, Fox Float Triad vs Fox Septune (adjustable ProPedal, XT Hydro Disc vs Avid Juicy 7's.

Worth an extra $200??? I'm afraid I've been sucked up by Big S's marketing machine and I'm ordering a 120 (Pro or Expert).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its good to have the choice, though doesn't this clash a little with the lower end 05 Enduro's? Sounds like travel will be within 10mm of each other, though I guess the SJ will have a longer top tube for a more XC feel.

However, although the trend appears to be for ever more suspension, I found that the 100mm of the 04 SJ was just right for me. I tried it alongside the Enduro and found the Enduro to be a bit too plush - I like to be able to at least feel a little of the terrain beneath me. My friend (who I'd brought along as a stooge to babysit one of the hired bikes) actually prefered the 8 year old hardtail with elastomer forks to both the SJ and Enduro that we demo'd but then he is one of those crazy roadie types with an @rse baked in vinegar etc.

I wouldn't be suprised if there is a suspension backlash round the corner - the standard for next year looks to be 5-6 inch and 4 inches is now considered short travel! I can imagine that a lot of this move to bigger suspension is just marketing hype and in reality most of us don't need this much for the kind of riding that we do. I was chatting to one LBS owner who said that he was getting alot of longer travel bikes coming back for 2nd hand sale as people were realising that it was too much for them...should be interesting to see where thing move in the next couple of seasons. Will we all be riding 9inch, 21lb uber bikes in 5 years time?

Anyway, very glad that I didn't buy an Enduro - I'd be gutted due to the complete redesign in 05. Haven't seen any pictures of 05SJ's but it sounds like the 100mm versions will probably just be tweaked a little.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I guess I was referring more to the price difference between a 2004 100 and a 2005 120. I'd gladly take a 2004 over the 2005 120 if I can find a deal. If I can't find a good deal on a 2004, than I will likely pay the difference for the 2005 120.

poksy, I wouldn't second guess myself. Look at it this way, you're riding your new bike, and I dreaming about mine. Are there any 2004 left? I haven't had any luck finding any Pro disc models.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
While I was at a LBS (one of 3 actually, that sell Spec) yesterday, I overheard the shop manager telling a customer that they were NOT going to be cutting the prices on the '04's when the '05's arrive. He said it was because the '05 prices were higher than the '04's. Ya gotta love those LBS folks!

Hearing that was a little disappointing as they are the only shop in town that still has a medium '04 SJ Expert Disc in stock. With my luck, they'll tell me "no discount". Then, some time later, I'll have to hear the story about what a "screaming deal" some other dude got on his left over '04 SJ...from the same shop!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am thinking to change/upgrade bike and I have/narrowed a following options:
1. upgrade my STJ 2002 with BEDT link+new 100mm fork+other ugrades (new disc brake etc) total costs about USD 1,000.
2. buy STJ 2004 in "sell" if it is
3. STJ 2004 frame in "sell"
4. S-Works Enduro 2004 frame in "sell"
5. STJ 2005 100mm
6. STJ 2005 120mm
or :)
7. ETSX Rocky Mountain 70 frame for USD 1,100

any ideas?your opinions?
I am not sure If I need a new bike. But If yes I'd like to ride something with more travel and "plush". And of course money is always problem :) I know Enduro is a bit different from STJ.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Mingsta said:
I wouldn't be suprised if there is a suspension backlash round the corner - the standard for next year looks to be 5-6 inch and 4 inches is now considered short travel! I can imagine that a lot of this move to bigger suspension is just marketing hype and in reality most of us don't need this much for the kind of riding that we do. I was chatting to one LBS owner who said that he was getting alot of longer travel bikes coming back for 2nd hand sale as people were realising that it was too much for them...should be interesting to see where thing move in the next couple of seasons. Will we all be riding 9inch, 21lb uber bikes in 5 years time?
I think you may be right. Look at the growing popularity of single speed and rigid bikes. I think outside of the guys that truly freeride and downhill, the extra travel is giving them little except for some extra speed through the downhill sections. I know out here in the Bay Area of California, that there is nothing I ride on my FS bike that I can't ride on my Hardtail. Only difference is the FS bike is a bit faster on the downhill and climbs a bit better in low speed bumpy or loose sections.

People also seem to forget that as you get longer travel that you have to raise the bottom bracket more. As some point the higher bottom bracket will signifcantly compromise handling to the point that the extra travel is a harm for most riding. The question is at what point does that occur.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DM-SC said:
While I was at a LBS (one of 3 actually, that sell Spec) yesterday, I overheard the shop manager telling a customer that they were NOT going to be cutting the prices on the '04's when the '05's arrive. He said it was because the '05 prices were higher than the '04's. Ya gotta love those LBS folks!

Hearing that was a little disappointing as they are the only shop in town that still has a medium '04 SJ Expert Disc in stock. With my luck, they'll tell me "no discount". Then, some time later, I'll have to hear the story about what a "screaming deal" some other dude got on his left over '04 SJ...from the same shop!
I just bought the pro-frame and built it up with parts i like including the vanilla fork since i never really liked the way air spring forks to much maintenance and the seals blow. here's a pic ridden it 2x already and i think i made the right choice with the 100mm 04 version.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.