Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the two would be more fun for XC-based singletrack riding. Racing is not really an issue. Just looking for a really fun hardtail on the singletrack.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
????

I think the Hammer is a Steel frame (someone correct me if I am wrong) If it is I would perfer steel to aluminum for a hardtail. Most Rocky Mountains have shorter than average top tubes and I perfer the upright feel to the stretched out racer feel. If it fits you well I would go with the RM

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2000 Rocky Mountain Blizzard which I think was made with the same steel and geometry that the Hammer is now made with.
Any way it has been a great hamdling, fun, reliable bike.
It's the kind of bike that you end up appreicating more and more as you try out other bikes.
I vote for the Rocky.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
the hammer...

gets my vote. specialized makes great bikes but rocky has their hardtail geometry down. the hammer and blizzard have legendary handling, those who own them absolutely love them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Go with the Hammer

The ride of Rocky's steel hardtails is fantastic. The top tubes ARE short, so you really do need a test ride on one. I have a 2004 Hammer set up for trail riding, and my old 1997 Hammer is currently serving commuter duty (soon to get the rigid fork and fenders treatment). Both are just so much fun to ride, and plenty tough... If you have the extra bucks, the Blizzard frame is probably a worthy upgrade.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just got my Stumpy

Prosecutor said:
Which of the two would be more fun for XC-based singletrack riding. Racing is not really an issue. Just looking for a really fun hardtail on the singletrack.
I just picked up a '06 Stumpjumper Hardtail frame, it replaced my '97. I rode for the second time Saturday. It handles great. For now my build is scraps from around the garage. I love this bike. The big plus is Specialized warranty and service. They are fantastic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I rode a Blizzard for years - and I still intend to rebuild it. Really well built - your rear wheel will always slide right into the frame perfectly. I would never ride an aluminum hardtail. Get real, get steel. You will love it. Handles like a dream. I didn't find the top tube too short, but I like smaller frames with longer stems and seat posts. I had mine repainted BRG with all black components (old school style), I couldn't stand the blk/wht maple leaves with orange cranks and stem!

Z

1 - 7 of 7 Posts