Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm looking to either buy a a Stumpjumper Elite or the Evo, the thing is my shop doesn't have either in stock so I can't test ride them to see which size I'll need. I feel that I'm between a medium and a large, and really don't know which size to order.

I'm 5'10.75" with a 32" inseam. The main goal of this bike is to be an all around bike for me, once that will go up, but also go down. I'm the kind of rider that jumps every hip and bump I can find, slides around corners, and drops every drop I can find.

I mainly ride trials so seat height and bike sizes (s,m,l) have been a non-issue for me. My current trail/xc bike is an old Azonic Evolution DJ frame with a massive seat-post on it, which is my do it all bike (urban, dirt jump, trials, xc). It does everything, but doesn't do anything well sadly besides dirt jumps.

So with my riding style and body size, what size Stumpjumper should I get? I rode a medium Camber and it felt a little small, I rode a large camber and it felt to big, same goes for the Epic. Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I'm about the same size as you and I went with a medium Stumpy Elite. When cruising around the LBS parking lot the Medium felt a tad small and the large felt a little big, but once I on on the trails I found the Medium was perfect and responded to my input a tad quicker. I too like to pretty much attack the trail and hit every bump, drop and play around and have a good time so I felt a smaller frame would be easier to toss around.

If you go with the Evo, I'd definitely choose a medium. It has really wide bars and it just feels "bigger" than the Elite, even though the specs are nearly the same. Both are killer bikes and I took 3 months to finally decide between the two. You can't go wrong either way!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much for the input! I rode both a medium camber and a large camber around the shop today (still snow everywhere here sadly so I couldn't ride outside) and I just can't tell what size I would want.

That is true about the wider bars on the Evo, it would make it feel like a bigger bike, so maybe I should go medium if I go that route. It really depends what bike my wife gets to see if I can upgrade to the Evo are not.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'd go with the Med as well. Another option is to look at another bike company that offers a size in between what your being offered by Spechi. I think that both Chumba and Titus have sized that are in between. For the price, an El Guapo with a 150mm Revelation would be a strong contender for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, I got the EVO yesterday, it's so sick! The Medium is the perfect size, thanks for all the help!
I'll get some pro pictures up when the weather gets better but here is a cellphone pic

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Very nice!
Are you going to convert it to tubeless? The Roval wheels already ahve the blue tape you need and it comes with the stems, so add some Stan's and your good to go!

I converted my Elite last week.It was super easy and dropped almost a pound off the bike. The tires grip a lot better too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Lynch said:
Very nice!
Are you going to convert it to tubeless? The Roval wheels already ahve the blue tape you need and it comes with the stems, so add some Stan's and your good to go!

I converted my Elite last week.It was super easy and dropped almost a pound off the bike. The tires grip a lot better too.
I did and i checked this morning and i lost almost half my air pressure (i still haven't been able to ride it yet), there was one leak i got it to fix but there seems to be a slow leak in both wheels. any suggestions?

thanks for the complements guys! this bike looks so amazing in real life, i can't believe it's mine!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Afterr converting to tubeless you need to go for a ride. Mine leaked the first night and I list 15psi, but after I pumped them up and went for a ride things have been fine. No leaks or pressure loss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.