Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
You frame is definitely from mid 90s (1994-1996). 1994 would be my first guess because Specialized used the heck out of different shades of green (grey green, silver green, dry green). I also seem to think this was the year I and a co-worker purchased a simular frame-set from the factory rep.

Check your frame for which version of a stumpjumper you have. Specialized made a Stumpjumper and Stumpjumper FS. Both in green so color doesn't help. You will see a tinny "FS" next to the stumpjumper decal on the frame.

Also I don't see the rear brake noodle, around the seat tube, in the photo. Does your frame have a rear cable stop brazed to the frame, or just a skinny little noodle around the seat tube?

Here are specs from the 1994 catalog to give you an idea of the typical loadout for the steel stumpjumper.

[Stumpjumper]
Frame: Tange Prestige
Color: Grey Green, Red
Fork: Tange chromoly
Group: Shimano LX 7-speed
Handle: Specialized alloy flat
Headset: Dia-compe Aheadset
Hubs: Shimano LX
Rims: Specialized Z21
Tires: front = Specialized 'Cannibol' 1.95 "Umma Gumma"
rear = Specialized 'More Extreme' 1.95 "Umma Gumma"
Stem/Seatpost = Specialized alloy stem, Ritchey alloy seatpost

[Stumpjumper FS]
Frame: Tange Prestige (suspension corrected geometry)
Color: Silver Green
Fork: Specialized Future Shock
Group: Shimano XT, LX and Gripshift 8-speed
Handle: Specialized alloy flat
Headset: Dia-compe Aheadset
Hubs: Shimano LX
Rims: Specialized Z21
Tires: front = Specialized 'Shock Master' 1.95 "Umma Gumma"
rear = Specialized 'More Extreme' 1.95 "Umma Gumma"
Stem/Seatpost = Specialized alloy stem, Ritchey alloy seatpost

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check here for year

On my 1995 Stumpjumper the model year is part of the serial number that is located on the inside of the left rear dropout.
I try and post this but get a message that says "Your message is to short. Please lenghthen your message to at least 5 characters."
That should do it :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where was the serial number? Mine is on the bottom bracket of both my green and red stumps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.