Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly a lurker here everyday, but now I have a question. I am building up my 2nd SS from a steel Stumpjumper probably in the early to mid 90s as it has 7 speed XT/LX components. If anyone has a stumpjumper, is there a magic gear combo so that a tensioner is not needed. I have used some of the available calculators for this, but wanted to see what others may be using. Thanks.

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
MadRiver said:
Mostly a lurker here everyday, but now I have a question. I am building up my 2nd SS from a steel Stumpjumper probably in the early to mid 90s as it has 7 speed XT/LX components. If anyone has a stumpjumper, is there a magic gear combo so that a tensioner is not needed. I have used some of the available calculators for this, but wanted to see what others may be using. Thanks.
I can run a 34:20 or a 32:18 with a little axle manipulation on my 95 M2, but it is aluminum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I've got the rear cogs covered, just have to hit the bike shop for
the chainrings. I'll post a pic if I get it set up, and oh yeah if I get that digital camera
for Christmas. Happy Ridin'!

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
94 or 95 here

My 94 or 95 stumphumper fits a 32/16 tightly, might be a little too tight even, but it's certainly doable. Might give that a try too, depending on your local terrain. My wife is currently riding this back and forth to school here in flatland [email protected] Lansing.

Plum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plum said:
My 94 or 95 stumphumper fits a 32/16 tightly, might be a little too tight even, but it's certainly doable. Might give that a try too, depending on your local terrain. My wife is currently riding this back and forth to school here in flatland [email protected] Lansing.

Plum
I'm putting together a 96 stumpjumper and I tried all the gear ratios on this and none of them seemed to work. Could any of you guys give more detail on how I could do it without a tensor. Thanks

·
2,093 Posts
Try 32x17 yet?

On my 2000 model rockhopper(al. frame) 32x17 fits perfect. I put a tensioner on though cuz i figure it will go slack after a few rides.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That model year has a semi-horizonal rear dropout. It should give you about a quarter of an inch to play with. I put a chain tug on the drive side(had to do a little modification) to keep the axle in place. I really don't need it because it never moved when I just used the quick release to keep the wheel in place. I can post a picture if you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
32x17

Suffer said:
That model year has a semi-horizonal rear dropout. It should give you about a quarter of an inch to play with. I put a chain tug on the drive side(had to do a little modification) to keep the axle in place. I really don't need it because it never moved when I just used the quick release to keep the wheel in place. I can post a picture if you want.
Yo

I run 32 in the front, and a 17 BMX freewheel in the back on a 95 Stumpjumper FS that is steel.

Works like a charm, no tensioner.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suffer said:
Yes, pictures would be great.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
MadRiver said:
Thanks everyone! I've got the rear cogs covered, just have to hit the bike shop for
the chainrings. I'll post a pic if I get it set up, and oh yeah if I get that digital camera
for Christmas. Happy Ridin'!
I see a number of reports that imply different chainstay lengths. There's no way to tell which combination is right for you MadRiver. :confused:

Did something work anyway?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for asking pacman, but I haven't tried anything yet. Getting an ENO hub may be the best bet anyway. My SS now is a Chameleon and I use the Surly tugnut which works great. However seems like with chain-stretch I am tightening it every few rides, so seems like the perfect fit might only last so long before a new chain would be needed. FWIW I would guess the 34 X 18 would be the best.

·
Registered
113 Posts
MadRiver said:
Thanks for asking pacman, but I haven't tried anything yet. Getting an ENO hub may be the best bet anyway. My SS now is a Chameleon and I use the Surly tugnut which works great. However seems like with chain-stretch I am tightening it every few rides, so seems like the perfect fit might only last so long before a new chain would be needed. FWIW I would guess the 34 X 18 would be the best.
Correct. I have about 450-500 miles on this chain and I have slowly moved the axle back as needed. That is the great thing about the Stumpjumper it has some play in the drops.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.