Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all these threads about squishy bikes!!! i am thinking about buying a mtn bike again, i havent had one in a couple years..i ride a fixed gear bike and bmx.....i want a mountain bike but i am not sure if i want to spend the extra coin on a squishy bike....i like the sj ht disc it is in my price range....spending the extra federal notes of american debt for the squish really hurts right now......im not going to huck or anything,....anyway, who here has hardtail pride and why should i spend my hard earned federal reserve (which isnt an agency of the federal government) notes of debt on a HT instead of the squish?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
curbdestroyer666 said:
all these threads about squishy bikes!!! i am thinking about buying a mtn bike again, i havent had one in a couple years..i ride a fixed gear bike and bmx.....i want a mountain bike but i am not sure if i want to spend the extra coin on a squishy bike....i like the sj ht disc it is in my price range....spending the extra federal notes of american debt for the squish really hurts right now......im not going to huck or anything,....anyway, who here has hardtail pride and why should i spend my hard earned federal reserve (which isnt an agency of the federal government) notes of debt on a HT instead of the squish?
Where and how you will ride should determine what you buy. A friend and I rode the same 26 mile ride an hour faster with our heavier 5 inch dual suspension bikes compared to our traditional light racer type hard tails. You just get more comfort and speed on a tough route. I do however like my rigid or hard tail more for some easy fast trails.

Do a lot of test riding of different types.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
curbdestroyer666 said:
Having recently converted from about 13 years of hardtail use to a squishy (SJ 120 Pro), I still have some hardtail pride. Sure, if all I cared about was racing on relatively smooth courses, I'd get a nice light hardtail. They can be great. I don't huck either.

But come on and RIDE ONE (a good, efficient full suspension bike, like any of the new stumpies). If a serious off-road test ride on one of the new stumpies doesn't leave you giggling, ready to sell off your first born's college education fund, and stupid happy for having floated down the trail at Mach 5, then you can be satisfied that a hard tail is right for you. As for me, I'm never going back. [Unless I drop about 25 lbs (off of me) and get so much faster as to consider a racing career. Yeah right. ;) ]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a hardtail, and I just rode a Stumpjumper FSR for the first time, and If I had to do it all over agian, I'd find some way to afford the FSR. It was just NICE to ride.

Bouncy, smooth, springy... I want one...

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I spent 30 years riding hardtails and...

Plinkerton said:
I have a hardtail, and I just rode a Stumpjumper FSR for the first time, and If I had to do it all over agian, I'd find some way to afford the FSR. It was just NICE to ride.

Bouncy, smooth, springy... I want one...
ridgids, not all of them mountain bikes of course, there were some cruisers with springer front ends on them in the early days. The last 2 years have been on an 03 Enduro, and I just picked up a Stumpy FSR 100 this spring. My hardtail is now in the process of becoming a single speed and will be relagated to commuting from now on. I'll never go back to a hardtail for off road again. These old bones LOVE full squish!!! :) If you can find a way, it is WELL worth the extra scratch to go full bounce!

Good Dirt

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Try to spend the extra $$ and go FS if possible. I have an '04 Enduro and it is awesome. I spent the last week (4 rides, about 60 miles) on my old HT just to give it some time in the sun --- I haven't ridden it in a year. I haven't found 1 advantage my HT has over my Enduro. My Enduro has a Fox Float rear shock with ProPedal, and it climbs just as good as my HT. Don't even get me started comparing them on downhills. I rode my local ride twice on my HT, and it added about 10-15 minutes to the usual time I clock in with my Enduro. Now I'm thinking it will be a cold day in hell before I ride my HT again!!

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Agree with the above. The FSR suspension is well designed and has been around for more than a few years--the same principles of that suspension are still being used in Specialized's top of the line bikes--if that's not a testament as to how well the suspension works...

You won't be disappointed with the FSR... I had a Stumpy Pro FSR for a few years, and I just built up an Epic. Do it. DO IT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.