Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the biggest drop you have done without breaking things? I have been doing 3 foot drops all the time with my new 05 stumpjumper but I'm a bit afraid to go any higher. I bent up my wheels in a crash and replaced the back with a rhino light so I know the back tire will hold. Will the frame/fork handle 4+ foot drops???

·
Registered
72 Posts
farmertan said:
My SJ marathon disc (medium) is 22.5 lbs w/o pedals. It's actually for sale in the classified section.
Is that for the stock bike?

Mine is 23.5lbs (10.7kg) for a 17inch, with M545 pedals, Juicy 7's, Thomson stem, carbon bar, X9 triggers and X0 rear mech.

Any idea on the frame weight?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I weighed it on a postal scale w/ pedals and it came in at 23. It wasn't a digital scale but the needle was right on 23. The 520 pedals on it weigh .82955 lbs, so 22.5 would be a conservative number. I guess to be 100% accurate I would have to weigh it on a digital bike scale.

Since I weighed it I put on a Thudbuster seatpost so now the bike would be about a lb heavier.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
It may take the drop once...

The Lone Wolf said:
What is the biggest drop you have done without breaking things? I have been doing 3 foot drops all the time with my new 05 stumpjumper but I'm a bit afraid to go any higher. I bent up my wheels in a crash and replaced the back with a rhino light so I know the back tire will hold. Will the frame/fork handle 4+ foot drops???
... but alu frames fatigue, crack and deform over time. It may not crack right away, but the head tube may go oval or cracks may form at the dropouts or bottom bracket. Get a steel frame if you're gonna huck it.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Specialized won't warranty a frame with an oval head tube.

·
Registered
72 Posts
farmertan said:
BTW, mine is also a 17" frame.

Also, w/ those upgrades I would think your bike would be less than 23.5.
Yeah, I would have thought so too as I was shooting for 23lbs. Maybe the scale at the bike shop wasn't accurate. Though I would suspect the Juicy 7's and triggers would have added a bit of weight compared to the XT dual control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.