Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front wheel on my Stumpjumper is misaligned from top to bottom. The top is farther left and the bottom to the right. It does not wobble but you can visable see it is not straight up and down. I upgraded forks and it's still like that. I started playing with my skewer and if I install it the other way with the lever on the right fork leg it rids the problem? Is it OK to ride with my quick release like this? Will a new one fix it? Anything else it could be?
Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
losiracer said:
The front wheel on my Stumpjumper is misaligned from top to bottom. The top is farther left and the bottom to the right. It does not wobble but you can visable see it is not straight up and down. I upgraded forks and it's still like that. I started playing with my skewer and if I install it the other way with the lever on the right fork leg it rids the problem? Is it OK to ride with my quick release like this? Will a new one fix it? Anything else it could be?
Thanks.
I had the same problem on an old suspensionless mtb of mine. I don't know how the wheel original got out of shape, I may have just put it back on wrong when unloading it from the roof rack and revealed that the bike had been that way for the previous 3 years. I did a similar fix, and flipping the whole tire over seemed to cure the problem. Rode like that for a whole 2 more years! I'm not saying it was safe, but I survived it. What you should really do though is take the bike back to a mechanic and get a free evalutation of the problem (assuming there the flip-fix isn't legit).

It sounds the problem is somewhere in the hub. Maybe a new wheel is in order.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts