Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 Stumpy fsr comp and never really thought about racing when i bought it, and have put about 250 hard miles on it. I've gotten asked quite a few times that i should race, just becuase my friends say i'm really fast on the trails and i'm pretty interested in racing. So now i'm kinda concerned now about the bike i'm riding. I've already put about $500 into the bike and its at 25.8lbs now. Anyone else use a stumpy for racing? Should i just sell it and get a epic or anthem? Any advice would be very helpful. By the way i love the stumpy, its a kickass bike! Thanks!

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
chrisf695 said:
I have a 07 Stumpy fsr comp and never really thought about racing when i bought it, and have put about 250 hard miles on it. I've gotten asked quite a few times that i should race, just becuase my friends say i'm really fast on the trails and i'm pretty interested in racing. So now i'm kinda concerned now about the bike i'm riding. I've already put about $500 into the bike and its at 25.8lbs now. Anyone else use a stumpy for racing? Should i just sell it and get a epic or anthem? Any advice would be very helpful. By the way i love the stumpy, its a kickass bike! Thanks!
I guess that depends what you want to race for...

(I think this scenario is the case....) If its gonna be your trail AND race bike - and you are racing for fun rather than to win - then I would stick with it, and put some lighter parts on it to reduce weight.

However, if you want to race to be very competitive and dont mind sacrificing an inch or so of travel for your fun rides, then it might be worth switching to a Trance/Epic/Element etc...

It all depends what your situation is...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Its pretty light the way it is so I doubt if you could get it much lighter. Obviously not as many riders use Stumpjumpers at the expert level but I think you can still be pretty competitive with it at any level. If you really get into racing you would probably go with a hardtail anyways for the majority of your races and use the Stumjumper for some of the rocky courses.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
If you have fenders on the bike you should lose them. If you are running anything wider than a 2.1 tire you might consider changing to something like a Hutchison Python or Kenda Small Block. The Python is pretty popular because it fast and cheap. Specialized has some good race tires and chances are your bike already has them on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.