Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you riding a 2012 -2014 Stumpjumper FSR EVO 29 or Stumpjumper FSR 29 and were split between two sizes did you size up or size down and why?

I'm looking at buying a 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO 29. I'm about 5' 9 1/2" and my legs are proportionally longer than my torso. I test rode the medium yesterday and was surprised at how compact the cockpit was. My LBS is ordering a large for me to test ride on Monday, but I'm not sure if that will make my decision any clearer. It's hard to get a feel for a bike with just a quick test ride.

I'm not sure if I should go with the medium or with the large and a super short stem (20 - 40mm). I'm guessing the medium will be more playful, quicker turning, and flickable and the large will be more comfortable for climbing and stable at speed or on rough descents.

Any advice?

·
Less talk, more ride...
246 Posts
At your height I would definitely recommend the medium. Spec says the size split is 5'10". It will really depend on what type of feel you are looking for but I think that the med would work better that a large with a short stem. YMMV. Just for reference, I'm 5'11" and ride a large Comp.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think part of it is that I'm coming from a Rockhopper which is going to have a more stretched out feel to it whereas the Stumpjumper FSR is going to be more upright. I'm probably used to the stretched out riding position.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yup, I am 5'9" with a 29.5 inseam and I'm very comfortable on the Medium man. I'd say the medium is going to be the better choice for you if I had to guess.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm 5'9" as well with a 32" inseam and I have a 2014 Stumpy FSR Evo 29er and I love the medium size frame. I used to be a Expert level DH racer so I really like shorter cockpits with longer wheelbases for stability at speed. If you were looking at a 26" or 650B for that matter I would size up but not on a 29er. This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, good luck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
2012 SJ FSR EVO 29, 5'10.5", 32" inseam, medium frame. Fits perfecto!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts