Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another forum too, so I hope I'm not breaking the rules, but I'm hoping to get opinions from a wider range of folks by doing so...

Stumpjumper FSR 29er Expert vs. Fisher Rumblefish II. I'm hoping someone who has experience (on the trail) with the two bikes can break down the differences. It'll need to be a comparison of 2010 models, as I know they both improved their frames a great deal after '09. I'm not loyal to either Trek (Fisher) or Specialized and won't ever be as I think they both have a lot to offer. But I'm thinking of getting a new bike this year and would be picking between the two (no major frame changes for either in 2011). I have ridden the '10 Stumpjumper 29er quite a bit and can say that I love it other than some vibration in the rear brake.

Specifically, five questions…

1) Which bike felt more slack? Was there a noticeable difference in the two in that aspect?

2) Brain vs. Boostvalve… Would you liken the Brain to basically 15 levels of propedal or something totally different? For example, is Propedal level 2 on the Fisher’s RP23 equal to the Brain halfway on?

3) Rear end stiffness comparison?

4) Ground clearance?

5) Did the 110mm rear travel on the Rumblefish actually feel just as deep as the 130mm rear travel on the Stumpy because of the boostvalve?

thanks…

·
angels get bald too
412 Posts
1) i think both of them are more or less slack ...;)

2)i depends on what you prefer ... alomst a hradtail in the back or not

3)rear stiffness is at the rumblefish, would say, a little bit better because of the ABP axle
the stumpjumper 29er has no X12 like the epics so ...

4)the ground clearance is based on the geotabs on their homepages the same
gary fisher BB heigt: 332mm
specialized sj fsr 29 BBheigt: 338mm

in my opinion the headtube- and seat tube angle is much more important !
and there i would prefer the stumpjumper with 74.5° based on the 2010 geometry but ithink specialized wouldn´t change this

5)
i think the 2011 sj fsr has only 120mm (or not, no im sure) so it´s pretty close to the 110mm on the rumblefish
and the boostvalve damper works very well ...

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
The 2011 FSR is 130mm F/R now. Last years was 120mm front/130mm rear.

The Brain is really not like Pro Pedal. Pro Pedal is like reaching down and holding on to the shock so it can't move freely. It does not bob much, but it is restricted all the way through its travel...and you may not get full travel unless you really pop it good.

The Brain is like holding on to the shock as you pedal and then letting go as you hit a bump...then grabbing it again after the bump is passed. The adjustment decides how big a bump will make you let go of the shock so it can move. So, although initially it is restricted like PP, once you let go it will get full travel like an open shock.

Something like that analogy, anyway.:p

I liked the Fish bike as a trail bike for sure, but no matter how you fool the rider into thinking that 110mm is more than it is,,,it is still only 110mm and that may come out if you spend more time jumping off of stuff. The FSR with the Brain will out pedal the Fish if you care about that stuff, at least as far as feeling spunky and responsive.

If it was the 2011 FSR compared to the 2010 Fish, then I would go for the FSR. If it is 2010 VS. 2010, then it would be a bit closer to call. In any case, the FSR gives you a combo of more travel AND snappier pedaling.

I did like the ABP on the Fish, though. That was really cool. But IMO it pedaled like I was in mud.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
gmk said:
15)
i think the 2011 sj fsr has only 120mm (or not, no im sure) so it´s pretty close to the 110mm on the rumblefish
and the boostvalve damper works very well ...
SJs have 130mm rear for both '10 and '11. '11s have 130 front also. Pretty sure.

Obviously in this forum, you'll get more folks favoring the SJ while in the other, the Fish. I have a '10 SJ and almost had a demo on a Super Fly until a twisted chain caused the rear drive train to explode into the spokes. Otherwise, I could give you first hand experience on the GF carbon version of the Fish.

****EDIT**** got my Fishes mixed. The Superfly is the carbon version of the Hifi, not the Rumblefish.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good luck finding a '10 SJ FSR 29'er, I bought the last one in my size within a 200 mile radius.

Love it, pedals almost like a hard tail but rides like a full suspension bike. I very much prefer the Brain to ProPedal, PP just doesn't pedal nearly as well. The ride through rock gardens, roots, chop, etc, is drastically better with the Brain than PP set up to pedal well. Put the rocks and roots in a steep climb or low speed setting and the difference is night and day, the SJ just kills the PP bike that isn't hitting the nasty stuff hard enough to break through the platform.

Fisher/Trek is a great company, support and warranty are as good as you will find. It came down to these two companies for me as well. I went SJ to get the (IMO) better technical climbing ability and pedaling efficiency without losing small bump or low speed bump compliance. It was hard to not buy the Fisher as it was available at a little lower price but I am thrilled with my SJ.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gmk said:
4)the ground clearance is based on the geotabs on their homepages the same
gary fisher BB heigt: 332mm
specialized sj fsr 29 BBheigt: 338mm
BB Height alone doesn't account for ground clearance. I believe the Stumpy has a longer wheelbase which might offset the higher the BB. I guess I was curious if anyone had felt like there was or wasn't enough clearance on the bikes from riding experience more so than geometry numbers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HSMITH said:
Good luck finding a '10 SJ FSR 29'er, I bought the last one in my size within a 200 mile radius.
My current bike is a '10 SJ FSR 29er. I love it. It was very hard to find, as I had to have it shipped halfway across the country (sister claimed it in store for me)... I almost feel like I have a rare bike (even though it's a Specialized) since I got it in April, after I was told they were gone. So I am familiar with the Brain, and I know it is everything Spesh cracks it up to be. It really works. Just was curious if ProPedal provides the same kind of platform as the Brain with 3 settings as opposed to 15. Sounds like there is more involved than that, so I don't want to lose the Brain for sure. Just rode it today and paid extra attention to the rear shock. I'm finding that I run it all the way on for the most part and it's just awesome. Really snappy uphill, and plush for the downhills. You can actually feel it opening and closing, but not in a distracting way. And I can't say it's made the wrong decision yet. Hopefully it's reliable over the long haul.

Just was curious if I should consider the Rumble as it looks like a sweet bike too. Yes, I'm guilty of drooling over the latest thing. But I'm thinking I'm going to stick with what I have, even over the '11 Stumpjumper. I don't need the extra 10mm up front. 120mm is perfect and I prefer Fox. Four extra spokes in the rear wheel? I'm not having any problems with my rear wheel now. I can always add a command post to my '10, but I don't think I want one anyway. So that leaves 2x10 as the only other change. I'm interested for the extra clearance... but I can't know much about 2x10 without having tried it. All things considered, I doubt it's worth the increased pricetag ($500 more) on the '11.

Also, compared to the Fisher, that triangle beneath the seatpost on the Stumpy sure does make for a nice handle when you need it.

So '10 Stumpy it is for me I think. For what it's worth, the white and black beats the new '11 colors anyway... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow I am just about to buy the SJ fsr 29er 2010 from my local LBS. Specialized has that no interest for 12 months so it will be easy to pay off. glad i read this to help clear my mind.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Nice bike, pdumas. I agree that it's not worth upgrading. I have the 2011 version of that bike on order. I'm also lusting after that new Epic Expert EVO, but I'll probably stay with the Stumpy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up adding the Command Post to my '10. Now that I've tried it, I don't know if I could go without it. Granted, I haven't had it long enough to evaluate durability, it is the best upgrade I've ever done. Exceeded my expectations. Highly recommend the Command Post for ALL types of terrain. The 2011's should be great.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
mtnbykr©™ said:
how big of a tire can be fitted on the rear of the '10??
I've run a Never-Go 2.2 on the back of my '10 and it fits but is tight. With the Stick-E compound, it picks up a lot of small rocks and pebbles and crams them through the seat stays, knocking the paint off. Plus, in really flexy situations, I get some tire rub on the inside of both sets of stays. I will likely stick to a 2.0-2.1 for the rear and run the 2.2s up front when I switch back to wet weather tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
mtnbykr©™ said:
how big of a tire can be fitted on the rear of the '10??
I can answer that! All done tubeless on stans Flows.
Those tires all fits without any issues
2.2 captain
2.3 eskar
2.4 Purgatory (incredible traction in the rear but has weak sidewalls if your an aggresive rider)
2.35 Bontrager FR3 team issue (tough sidewalls! highly recommend)
2.4 Maxxis Ardent (the best front 29er tire)

No
2.5 WTB Dissent: Fits but rub on chainstays without noticing when frame flex, causing wear to the aluminium stays... Excellent in the front if you like to play hard.

·
dumb ass
330 Posts
thanks.

i like to run the wtb 2.55s when it's dry and want to try the maxxis 2.4 for west mtn rides. both should fit fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts