Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have the intention to buy a new bike for XC and enduro use. I am very interested in Santa Cruz Heckler (with fox float RP3) or Specialized stumpjumper fsr 120.

My question is: Do you think heckler will be a problem with its single pivot knowing that I will also ride my bike on the road? I guess that the new rear shock generation is more efficient to prevent pumping effect, so is heckler a good choice or should I buy the stumpjumper?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. sorry for my poor English but it’s not my mother tongue.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
madcryo said:
Hi everybody,

I have the intention to buy a new bike for XC and enduro use. I am very interested in Santa Cruz Heckler (with fox float RP3) or Specialized stumpjumper fsr 120.

My question is: Do you think heckler will be a problem with its single pivot knowing that I will also ride my bike on the road? I guess that the new rear shock generation is more efficient to prevent pumping effect, so is heckler a good choice or should I buy the stumpjumper?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. sorry for my poor English but it?s not my mother tongue.
With a proper shock the Heckler will not have noticeable bob on the road or on the trail. I had the 5th element on my old Heckler and bob was never an issue for me. I would add air when I wanted a stiffer ride or let some out for a plusher feel. The stable platform worked great even though the 5th was not my favorite shock. From my experience, if you put a similar spv shock on both bikes, the Heckler will bob less.

Dont kid yourself into thinking that the Stumpjumper with a FSR suspension will not bob. I have had exactly the opposite experience with the Stumpjumper and Enduro bikes. These bikes have very active suspension and bob like mad on the road or on the mountain if you are pedaling hard. You have to pedal very smoothly and not stand at all when you pedal or it is BOB city my friend. I have found this regardless of what shock is on the stumpy.

The brand new 05 Enduro has less bob with the 5th air but the bob is still there. Some people tend to think that the FSR 4bar system is magical without flaws but there are flaws to every design. The flaw with the Stumpy is that the system works almost too well and the result is a suspension design that is over active. It helps with brake jack and small bump absorption but robs you of pedalling efficiency IMO.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
The 120 is a smoother pedaler in rough terrain, but it will bob more then the Heckler does on the street. The 120 is more long seated climbing and slower speed tighter handling trail oriented than the more higher speed oriented Heckler.

The Heckler is heavier duty with a little more slack, higher speed downhill and freeride oriented frame geometry and can handle pretty big jumps and hard use. And the Heckler will pedal with better acceleration and efficency feel on the street than the 120. With the same shock weight, such as air, the Heckler is a little heavier frame of the two.

- ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.