Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm narrowing down my bike search and am looking for a 120-130mm bike that is great on tight twisty, rolling XC but also great for some tech, jumps, drops. One thing I want decent wheels that can take some pounding -- I'm 185 lbs geared up.

I found a '22 Ripley AF Deore in my size for $3,199 and I'd actually prefer aluminum but wish it was a better, lighter build (I think it's around 33lbs).

There's also a '21 Stumpjumper Comp for $4,700 which seems like a great all around bike, 140/130 travel may be a bit more bike than I need but perfect for trips to the mountains.

At the top of my budget is a Ripley SLX at $5,899. Not sure how much lighter it is than the AF Deore. Seems like a nice build but wish I could get the AF version to save some $.

I still need to compare specs, but am leaning towards the Ripley. Not sure if there are any AF SLX versions available in size L, but that could be the sweet spot for me.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Biased, but I love my Ripley. I think a Large slx build would be around 29 pounds which is pretty good for its capabilities. I ride some stuff that borders on enduro territory with mine, but it's equally happy on more XC oriented rides. The stock wheels have a 35mm inner width and should be plenty beefy. I just dislike Specialized as a corporation too much to ever buy one, but I'm sure the stumpy rides well too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
How tall are you? I'm 6'1. I was in-between sizes and the new geo bikes are amazing, but long top tubes and steep seat tubes make fit way different than before. I rode bikes in the parking lot when I could find them but mostly just sat on them as everything during my search was sold already so it was someone's bike they hadn't picked up yet. Large bikes had me feel like I was sitting on top of them, while extra large felt like sherman tanks. Specialized S sizing was the only one I felt comfortable on immediately. I think it's because they don't have as drastic changes between the sizes. I doubt you could go wrong with either of those two bikes assuming you like the fit.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
I'm narrowing down my bike search and am looking for a 120-130mm bike that is great on tight twisty, rolling XC but also great for some tech, jumps, drops. One thing I want decent wheels that can take some pounding -- I'm 185 lbs geared up.
Stumpjumper will give you in frame storage in case you care, will be lighter and will have better warranty;

in case you prefer AL, I would go with AF

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Am still leaning towards the Ripley mainly because of the trails by me. If I was closer to the mountains, I'd want the bit more travel, but 130/120 and something that pedals and climbs well will be perfect.

So now the decision is the Deore AF (at $3,199) or SLX Carbon (at $5,899). For the AF the wheels, shock and fork seem fine for me. I'm not sure how the Deore brakes are (probably good enough) and I'm not a weight weenie, but am a bit concerned about the weight for the Deore build and if the bike would feel heavy. But at the price I'd have room to upgrade the brakes and drivetrain if I choose too. I'd also have some $ left for a 2nd bike -- considering a SS HT to mix things up.

I'm going to post in the Ibis section as well to get feedback between the two bikes. Any other input is appreciated.

How tall are you? I'm 6'1. I was in-between sizes and the new geo bikes are amazing, but long top tubes and steep seat tubes make fit way different than before. I rode bikes in the parking lot when I could find them but mostly just sat on them as everything during my search was sold already so it was someone's bike they hadn't picked up yet. Large bikes had me feel like I was sitting on top of them, while extra large felt like sherman tanks. Specialized S sizing was the only one I felt comfortable on immediately. I think it's because they don't have as drastic changes between the sizes. I doubt you could go wrong with either of those two bikes assuming you like the fit.
I'm 6'. Have been on a large for every bike I've owned. I think I would be S4 for a Stumpy

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks all. Am still leaning towards the Ripley mainly because of the trails by me. If I was closer to the mountains, I'd want the bit more travel, but 130/120 and something that pedals and climbs well will be perfect.

So now the decision is the Deore AF (at $3,199) or SLX Carbon (at $5,899). For the AF the wheels, shock and fork seem fine for me. I'm not sure how the Deore brakes are (probably good enough) and I'm not a weight weenie, but am a bit concerned about the weight for the Deore build and if the bike would feel heavy. But at the price I'd have room to upgrade the brakes and drivetrain if I choose too. I'd also have some $ left for a 2nd bike -- considering a SS HT to mix things up.

I'm going to post in the Ibis section as well to get feedback between the two bikes. Any other input is appreciated.

I'm 6'. Have been on a large for every bike I've owned. I think I would be S4 for a Stumpy
That's why I mentioned it. I owned exclusively Large bikes up until the new geo. I too was right there on the cusp. Bikes this year aren't sitting on the floor to test. I was really surprised at how weird larges felt on new bikes. Most people size up, I felt like it was a kid on my dad's bike with most XL and felt like I was sitting on top of the larges rather than in them. Specialized does 6 sizes so the change between are less drastic than bikes with 4 sizes. I just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's why I mentioned it. I owned exclusively Large bikes up until the new geo. I too was right there on the cusp. Bikes this year aren't sitting on the floor to test. I was really surprised at how weird larges felt on new bikes. Most people size up, I felt like it was a kid on my dad's bike with most XL and felt like I was sitting on top of the larges rather than in them. Specialized does 6 sizes so the change between are less drastic than bikes with 4 sizes. I just thought I'd mention it.
Yeah, thanks for pointing this out. It would be nice to be able to test ride. I was just over in the Ibis forum and it seems like guys who are 6' are going with larges and happy with the size. I would prefer a bike that feels smaller versus larger so think that L will be good.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah, thanks for pointing this out. It would be nice to be able to test ride. I was just over in the Ibis forum and it seems like guys who are 6' are going with larges and happy with the size. I would prefer a bike that feels smaller versus larger so think that L will be good.
That's good. Yeah, it's weird. I think for me going from 175 cranks to 170 and having long legs really brings the weight up high. I was so discouraged with how everything felt.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The price difference makes the bikes pretty different in terms of being able to choose an ideal one, such a spread :unsure:

I you didn't have the AF as an option I would go stumpjumper over ripley. I really wouldn't know how to decide between the AF and the stumpjumper, components are better on the AF so is the $1500 premium worth a carbon frame, decent frame storage but slightly lower spec components? I'm however a sucker for carbon frames...

I looked at the wrong spec stumpjumper which had NX divertrain and guide s brakes. I would pick the stumpjumper out of the three.If the ripley slx and stumpjumper were the same price I'd take the ripley, but you could do quite a bit with $1200 to the stumpjumper (I would go with carbon wheels and a shock retune).

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good. Yeah, it's weird. I think for me going from 175 cranks to 170 and having long legs really brings the weight up high. I was so discouraged with how everything felt.
That's strange that the Stumpjumper L and XL comes with 170mm cranks. I thought 175 was pretty standard. Maybe my LBS would swap some out if I didn't like the 170's

The price difference makes the bikes pretty different in terms of being able to choose an ideal one, such a spread :unsure:

I you didn't have the AF as an option I would go stumpjumper over ripley. I really wouldn't know how to decide between the AF and the stumpjumper, components are better on the AF so is the $1500 premium worth a carbon frame, decent frame storage but slightly lower spec components? I'm however a sucker for carbon frames...

I looked at the wrong spec stumpjumper which had NX divertrain and guide s brakes. I would pick the stumpjumper out of the three.If the ripley slx and stumpjumper were the same price I'd take the ripley, but you could do quite a bit with $1200 to the stumpjumper (I would go with carbon wheels and a shock retune).
Good point about the price difference. It would be closer to a $900 difference because I'd pay tax on the Stumpjumper.

In terms of stock wheels, I'm wondering how the Specialized 28h stock rims are (surprised they're not 32h). Ideally I wouldn't want to have to upgrade right away if I'm spending ~$5k on a bike, but realize wheels is often a worthwhile upgrade

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That's strange that the Stumpjumper L and XL comes with 170mm cranks. I thought 175 was pretty standard. Maybe my LBS would swap some out if I didn't like the 170's

Good point about the price difference. It would be closer to a $900 difference because I'd pay tax on the Stumpjumper.

In terms of stock wheels, I'm wondering how the Specialized 28h stock rims are (surprised they're not 32h). Ideally I wouldn't want to have to upgrade right away if I'm spending ~$5k on a bike, but realize wheels is often a worthwhile upgrade
I'm a 200+ pound aggressive rider on the Enduro with those same 28h wheels and they have been good so far, even with bad line choices on double black tech at the bike parks. My last bike was a Ripmo AF and I thought the 35mm internal alloy rims were too wide but of equal quality to the Specialized wheels.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Fair point on buying more on top of a new bike. Your right that you don't have to, just puts into perspective for me how they'd compare at the same price point.

I can only go on an assumption that alu wheels would be ok and it's marginal gains going to carbon. The last alu wheels I had, WTB frequency team i23 if I recall, were more than ok but that's 3 or 4 years ago now. Others will have a better perspective than me. Actually, i did have to run a rear roval 21mm internal rim for two 50km races and had no apparent issues, the stock stumpjumper wheels wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. (still only limited exposure however)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a 200+ pound aggressive rider on the Enduro with those same 28h wheels and they have been good so far, even with bad line choices on double black tech at the bike parks. My last bike was a Ripmo AF and I thought the 35mm internal alloy rims were too wide but of equal quality to the Specialized wheels.
Good to know, thanks. I'm 185lbs so think the wheels would hold up fine even casing some jumps based on your experience.

·
off to ride
256 Posts
So, I don’t have the Stumpjumper Comp carbon, but I did buy the Comp Alloy last week. I have three rides on it - and will say it climbs well. Two of the rides have been 25 miles with 2.5k elevation and 14miles with 1.5k elevation and it did well, got me up some spots I’ve struggled with in the past. Even being the weight it is (I think it’s 34lbs, from what I see on the web). I was able to climb about the same time/pace as I have climbed the same trails as my carbon Gravel bike (it’s a Salsa Cutthroat - MTB with drop bars and 2.2 tires), which is 10lbs lighter. I was surprised I was as close to the time/pace as I was.

So, I’m sure the Stumpjumper will do you well if you went that route.

Enjoy whatever bike you end up with!

·
Registered
332 Posts
You'll lose a pile of weight where it matters if you go Ripley AF and upgrade to some decent carbon hoops. Ditch the Deore cassette for an XT and you'll get another good chunk. You can probably get that bike down around 31lbs and be under $4500. You won't notice the extra weight you're carrying on the frame and components when you only have to spin up the lighter wheels. The other benefit, since you seem worried about wheel durability, is that you'll have a spare set. You could setup one pair with faster tires for around home and the other with meatier rubber for trips to the mountains.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
You'll lose a pile of weight where it matters if you go Ripley AF and upgrade to some decent carbon hoops. Ditch the Deore cassette for an XT and you'll get another good chunk. You can probably get that bike down around 31lbs and be under $4500. You won't notice the extra weight you're carrying on the frame and components when you only have to spin up the lighter wheels. The other benefit, since you seem worried about wheel durability, is that you'll have a spare set. You could setup one pair with faster tires for around home and the other with meatier rubber for trips to the mountains.
I believe you can do upgrade on ibis bikes just specifying this to the dealership and pay delta upgrade, so u can basically go with AF +carbon hoops + xt cassette

Than will improve bike satisfaction like 2-3 times

Cheers

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll check with my LBS about the delta upgrades.

What do you guys recommend for carbon hoops? Looks like the stock wheelset weight is 1880g so not too bad for aluminum w/ 35 inner width

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know there's a ton of carbon hoops out there, but what would ya'll recommend for a good set in terms of price/value/weight for an AF?
I have an AF on the way as well, and I'm hearing the same things: "upgrade the wheels!"

·
Registered
982 Posts
I know there's a ton of carbon hoops out there, but what would ya'll recommend for a good set in terms of price/value/weight for an AF?
I have an AF on the way as well, and I'm hearing the same things: "upgrade the wheels!"
The stock rims are fine. If you want to drop some weight cheap, just switch to lighter tires. 2.4 Dissector EXO up front and a 2.4 Rekon EXO+ rear would be a good way to go. Any wheels worth getting would be like $1200 minimum and only drop a couple hundred grams. At that point I think you should just get the carbon frame.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.