Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert the v-brakes on my 06 stumpjumper HT to BB7 disc brakes.

I compared the 06 stumpy to the 06 stumpy disc on the specialized.com and everything besides the actual brakes themselves are the same. I know i'll have to change the cables and housings but does this mean that my bike is completey disc ready, meaning I won't have to change the hubs, wheelset, etc?

·
Registered
392 Posts
are your hubs disc-ready? Take a look at them, if they have six holes around the left side of the hubs, you'll be able to mount discs (unless they're for Shimano centrelock, then they'll have that style of mount. Also, check your frame to make sure it has the disc holes...it SHOULD (as even my '99 Giant frame has them) but it always pays to check.

If so, then you should be able to mount discs, and all you'll ahve to do is buy the BB-7s, new housing and cables and you're good to go.

Good luck mate!

Tim

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Check whether the hubs have the 6 bolt holes for the disc rotor.

Whatever the rims are, it wont make any difference to whether or not you can run a discbrake - some rims cant be used with vbrakes (designed for use with discs, reduce weight a little, and improve stiffness) but all rims can be used with discs.

Aslong as the hubs have the 6 bolt holes, and the frame and fork have disc mounts - then you can convert it to disc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I've installed a pair of bb7's with new cables and housings already. However, I can't seem to get the alignment to work out even though I've followed the avid manual.

In order for there to be no rub between the pads and the rotor, it feels like i have to pull pretty far back on the levers. is this normal? i've already made sure my housings are clean cut and that there isn't slack in the cables.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.