Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Northstar for the first time next week. I have a 07' Stumpjumper Pro. I like to jump but nothing too crazy. My only real downhill exp is Pinecrest Peak which seemed very tame to me. Am I going to destroy my bike?

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
300ktmrider said:
I'm going to Northstar for the first time next week. I have a 07' Stumpjumper Pro. I like to jump but nothing too crazy. My only real downhill exp is Pinecrest Peak which seemed very tame to me. Am I going to destroy my bike?
I brought my 5.5" FS bike to Northstar last year. It really depends on your skills, riding style, etc. Most everything up through black diamond was fine on my bike, and I learned a lot about landing doubles. The double-black diamond stuff can be ridden on an XC FS bike like yours, but it's not as fun, you won't be able to do as much of the stuff in the air and you'll get in the way of downhillers.

It's plenty fun for xc bikes, just know / learn / grow your limits.

Morgan

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a lift ticket.

Ride up the road to mid mountain, sneak on a lift and do stick-n-stones and flameout, then ride back down one of the black diamonds. Repeat if necessary.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
When I make a trip to N* I want to get the most from my time and money and that isn't going to happen on a trail bike. N* is best served on a DH bike, sure you can ride any bike on any trail but you won't have the right tool for the job. No one knows your skill level or ability so get out the pads and report back when the dust clears :thumbsup:

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,243 Posts
Are N*'s rental DH bikes are any good?

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
420 Posts
Take your bike and try it out..You can always rent a "Big Bike" if you want..
One thing though...
Tires ...Recommend dual ply tires...Thin XC tires might cause problems if you are into jumps/drops...N* is very rocky.
Have fun:thumbsup:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ha, I went 4th of July on my '08 Epic w/ SID Fork and had a blast, did 95% of the trails rated AT single black diamond or below, did Big/Little treees, flameout and livewire a bunch of times.

Yeah, I soaked up all my 4" travel but it was still doable. I'm going again this Sunday with my friend who has a Trek Remedy with 160mm travel front & rear, he will enjoy it for sure and so will I :)

I was at Northstar 7-8 yrs ago on my 2000 Schwinn Moab Hardtail and even went down boondocks (obviously I bypassed the drops) and survived! Geez, got a Ritz, 3rd lift, new village and more trails since I have been there and lift tickets have more than doubled in price, boo!

·
injured reserve list
619 Posts
Northstar has a new fleet of 2010 Giant bikes to rent this season, just get there early or call to reserve. Why bother tearing up your XC bike when you can rent a new DH/FR bike that can handle the terrain?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Should be fine

300ktmrider said:
If you could throw some beefier tires on it that would be good. You might also consider setting your suspension up for a more supple ride..

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
sanjuro said:

Ride up the road to mid mountain, sneak on a lift and do stick-n-stones and flameout, then ride back down one of the black diamonds. Repeat if necessary.
No sneaking possible. They were bar code scanning the tickets on every bike getting on the lift when I was there on July 4th. This included the top Vista lift as well.

I found the blues and single black (like Woods, Little/Big Trees, and Flameout) to be loads of fun with my All Mountain Heckler (5.5" suspsension).

However, the Double Blacks and jumps could definitely use a DH rig for the most fun. I didn't rent because I don't jump and I'm always way too big for any rentals. I'd rather ride the very beefy bike I built and tuned up for me, optimized for the type of trails I can handle best. The Blues and Single Blacks were just right.

Hopefully you read that other thread too.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Last season I took my coil/Van36 Santa Cruz BLT2 up there. While I am not a top notch downhiller, I am certainly no beginner either. Yes, the 5.5. inch could handle livewire and a few others, but I was totally beat after a few high speed runs. The kids that were on DH bikes were simply cruising right by me without much effort.

Lesson learn, I am going to rent a dh bike for sure next time. I felt the 5.5 inch was holding me back.

Of course, if you are a pro rider, you will rip even with a 5" bike.

·
hmmmm
532 Posts
sanjuro said:

Ride up the road to mid mountain, sneak on a lift
I would be careful with that, I had my lift ticket scanned every time I got on a lift (Gondola AND Zephyr) yesterday. just FYI

·
Registered
997 Posts
Big tires, softer suspension settings and some armor, and you can podium the N* sport class with an AM bike, repeatably.

Fun on any given weekend with your AM bike, no problem. More people should do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input! I've got decent tires and some good MX gear - I'll give it a shot and avoid big drops / rocks. Videos I saw looked like there's plenty of groomed table top stuff with berms - Livewire looks like a blast.

Thanks!

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
300ktmrider said:
Just your fork. I busted my Rock Shox Revelation (AM fork) after one day of riding Gypsy, Sticks and Stones, etc. This year I'll be on a DH bike.

Oh yeah, and your arms. Your forearms will hurt. Take up rock climbing, it'll help.

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
BitterDave said:
How did your Revelation fail?
Oil started leaking out one of the valves at the top and I had to have it rebuilt. It was ridable but not for long. I dunno. I weigh less than 120 pounds and I've broken that fork and a Fox Float rear shock while jumping at Pacifica. I guess I need to work on my landings.

I'm selling the fork, FWIW, since I long since got a new bike that doesn't need it. It's completely rebuilt so it's in great shape! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts