Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have historically ridden XC race hardtails but as time passes wondering if I see an FS in my crystal ball. In an effort to keep it under $2000 I recently have been interested in a Honzo (DL or base) vs a Stumpjumper ST 29 (mostly because I took one for a demo at my LBS). Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked hard at the Stumpjumper ST, also wanting to stay sub $2k. By the time you put a dropper on the ST, and go tubeless, you're over $2k. At that point, given the current sale price on the Giant Trance 29 2, I stretched my budget and went that route. Ended up being $400-500 more than the ST accounting for adding the post and TL to that bike, but the difference in price seemed justified at that point, given the spec differences.

Had the Giant been priced at the usual $3100, I would have gone ST.

I think Specialized has a bit of a hole in the Stumpy lineup. Roughly $1900 for the alloy ST base, and then somewhere around $3300 for the Comp. The Giant filled that gap, on sale, where I was willing to reach to financially.

I went into the store preferring the Stumpjumper, but after riding the Trance 29 and Stumpy Comp back to back a couple of times, I was surprised to find that I liked the Giant better. The sale sealed it for me.

One other note. My dealer had a number of leftover Specialized Enduros in house that they were selling at $2200. Not sure if that interests you, but seemed like a good deal for the money compared to the base Stumpy. I only mention that bike because the deal seemed really good for right around the $2k range I was at, like you.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Why are you comparing a hardtail to a FS. Am I missing something? Why aren't you looking at the Specialized hardtails?

I have had 3 stumpjumpers over the years (86, mid 90s, and 2019), all have been very good bikes. I can't speak to durability on the 2019 since I have only had it a couple of weeks. I don't if OneSpeed's comment is based on the bike itself, but I suspect it's the typical Specialized in general slag. I get it, but still think they make great bikes with good value at the lower end of the line.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to *OneSpeed* again.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
lol, I had no recollection of what I wrote here, I just clicked to see. I have to say I kept it simple and strait to the point. Very concise.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Owned a 2010 Camber, 2016 Camber, and a 2019 SJ. All were great, reliable, trouble free bikes. Nothing wrong with Specialized bikes. The few times I had some questions, someone at Specialized always picked up by the 2nd or third ring, and had the answers I needed. The new SJ is a solid, well designed bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.