Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpjumper 2021

829K views 3K replies 412 participants last post by  mnigro 
#1 ·
Rumor has it that there is a 2021 version on the way.

Will we see an ST and an LT version?
Where will it sit in relation to the Stumpy Evo?

(Picture is photoshop)

Attachments

See less See more
#3,482 ·
So along with the gear swap, if I do go to a 32 tooth. How much of a benifit with a set of GX cranks be over the SX cranks. Not easy to find published weight, and I know the Powerspline BB is really heavy.

Seems like this bike is really heavy, I want to do a few things to lighten it for my daughter.

#3,486 ·
Are you planning to put new hoops and keep the hubs? The hubs & tires are heavy as well. Plus the cassette. I have a comp carbon, and just putting on a light wheelset with speedy tires completely transforms the bike when it comes to pedalling. climbing, it just becomes so much more poppy and agile. If you have a light rider, I don't see the need for Grid trail tires either. I run Roval comp carbons or Hunt Trailwide alloys with (new) Purgatory grid front, Ground Control rear for most of the time. All natural trails with no massive mountains, though.

I'd go there first, and keep the standard rims/cassette for later/backup/supergnar.

#3,488 ·
If it's heavy then keep the 30t. It's roughly two teeth for wheel size (ish) so if you can push a 34t on 26", then 32t for 650B and then 30t for 29"

What's the total weight? My Evo is almost 16kg so feel that would be hard work depending on the twelve year old.
30 front , 50 rear. Seems to have no issue pushing the gear, her previous bike was 30 front , 40 rear 27.5 bike. But a bit lighter as a Hardtail

Are you planning to put new hoops and keep the hubs? The hubs & tires are heavy as well. Plus the cassette. I have a comp carbon, and just putting on a light wheelset with speedy tires completely transforms the bike when it comes to pedalling. climbing, it just becomes so much more poppy and agile. If you have a light rider, I don't see the need for Grid trail tires either. I run Roval comp carbons or Hunt Trailwide alloys with (new) Purgatory grid front, Ground Control rear for most of the time. All natural trails with no massive mountains, though.

I'd go there first, and keep the standard rims/cassette for later/backup/supergnar.
undecided on the wheel game plan. Going carbon hoops and need to decide if I’ll use the OEM hubs or build ooff a fresh set of Hopes. Kinda leaning on 2 full wheel sets for her to keep aggressive tires on the heavy set and faster rolling on the other.

wheels and tires, then cranks. What’s your overall budget for upgrades?
don’t really have a set budget. Obviously wheel built is much higher than cranks , but they can easilylast for many years if we dont change to something stupid like a new 1/2 boost 153.75

Then a Gx crank set and BB can easily be had for under $130

#3,493 ·
Hi all,

I am not riding my stumpy that much these days being more motivated to jump on my new steel hardtail (new bike effect) and with the revamped stumpjumper due this year I started to consider selling it. I still love the bike but I might be a little bit bored after three years.
Nevertheless, the difficult second hand market combined with the direction Spe is going with headset routing on the Epic and no more flex stay 130 stumpjumper make me wonder if it actually might be a keeper.
I don't see any recent or expected 130 light trail bike which would make it obsolete any time soon.

I only rotate between a trail hardtail and my enduro E-mtb these days so my other idea was to just store the stumpy for a while until I fancy it again. Or shall I sell it?

#3,494 ·
Hi all,

I am not riding my stumpy that much these days being more motivated to jump on my new steel hardtail (new bike effect) and with the revamped stumpjumper due this year I started to consider selling it. I still love the bike but I might be a little bit bored after three years.
Nevertheless, the difficult second hand market combined with the direction Spe is going with headset routing on the Epic and no more flex stay 130 stumpjumper make me wonder if it actually might be a keeper.
I don't see any recent or expected 130 light trail bike which would make it obsolete any time soon.

I only rotate between a trail hardtail and my enduro E-mtb these days so my other idea was to just store the stumpy for a while until I fancy it again. Or shall I sell it?
If money isn’t important to you, see what you can sell it for and if it’s enough, go for it. Just be prepared to sell low or it’ll just sit there in the classifieds.
Bikes that don’t get ridden are sad bikes! I’m sure their next iteration will be great too.