Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1501 - 1520 of 1554 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Got my first ride in on the Ohlins setup. My feedback would be unless you either ride really fast rebound or are going to custom tune it, don't bother. Not nearly enough rebound in the stock setup so the bike skips around a lot in the rough. It does feel more sensitive than the stock setup during compression which might be a positive. One of the things I really noticed about it is that it doesn't beg you to hammer like the DPS in the flats/climbs. You get more of the Evo/Enduro feel where you just want to cruise. Pressure to maintain the same sag was about 14 psi less at 194 vs 208.

Mine is off to Fluid Focus for a custom tune now so will keep playing with it to see if we can get it to act better than the stock DPS.

View attachment 1936495

View attachment 1936496
Interesting feedback, I have had a different experience. It looks like we have different models of the TTX though as my air valve is in a different location. Did you buy the previous year's model that was tuned for the FSR SJ?

On the 2021 TTX I am running equal or slightly higher pressure to the DPS to achieve similar sag, and have removed all spacers. Rebound feels good. Could be the pressure difference, I am running ~230psi at ~190 lbs. Our bikes are very similar.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Interesting feedback, I have had a different experience. It looks like we have different models of the TTX though as my air valve is in a different location. Did you buy the previous year's model that was tuned for the FSR SJ?
Good catch. I was a bit confused by Salespunk's impression of the shock but didn't notice his shock looked different.

Earlier in the year I was asking Ohlins about the differences between the two TTX1 models, and here was the response:

Ohlins said:
For the new 2021 Stumpjumper, I have sent out a few of the 2019 650b Stumpy short travel shocks with great success: the dimensions are the same and the stiffer compression tune better matches the digressive piston design from the OEM Fox unit.

The Specialized-specific shocks all use the TTX1 design, which better suits their designs. If you want more end of stroke support, then it sounds like you want a more progressive air spring, so the TTX1 design is what you are aiming for. The valving is the other question -The stumpy-specific tune is stiff, so the bike will retain its sporty characteristics, but if you are looking for more compliance, then a stock 190x45 TTX1 might be a better option.

So, the last factor is stock: we have 2 of the Stumpy-specific shocks in stock, and none of the 190x45 TTX1 shocks. We have the 190x45 TTX2’s in stock. This leaves you with a few options:

Get the stumpy-specific shock (SBC 2048) if you want the sportier tune. You can always send it back to have it revalved lighter.​
Get the stumpy-specific shock and have us revalve it to a lighter compression tune to get more comfort right out of the box.​
Get the stock 190x45 TTX2, which we can stuff with all of the volume reducers to get you to where you need to be. The stock valving is medium in terms of stiffness, so no revalve necessary.​

·
Registered
132 Posts
Were you able to get a weight on the OEM wheelset?
Not yet. My new wheels came but the rear was 6 bolt instead of centerlock so I am sending it back and a new one is getting built. I did weight the front and it was 1080g if I recall, but I am still using the rear.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts

On the 2021 TTX I am running equal or slightly higher pressure to the DPS to achieve similar sag, and have removed all spacers. Rebound feels good. Could be the pressure difference, I am running ~230psi at ~190 lbs. Our bikes are very similar.

View attachment 1936777

View attachment 1936775
Well that pisses me off. I told the dealer specifically it was going on a 2021 SJ. Guess I will have it tuned to the 2021 SJ specs assuming it is the same internals.

Their email you quoted says there is no need to change the shim stack, but I am completely maxed out on the rebound and it is still significantly faster than the stock DPS. I will reach out and see what they say.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks like the 2022 price increase really slowed down the frenzy for the SJ. It was impossible to find the 2021's in any variety. I had to drive a long way to get mine. Now in my area there's 2022 experts, EVO Comps and even a Pro in my size just sitting at the shops. Feels like they may have priced them higher than people's comfort zones as bike demand still seems super high, looking at the sales floors, they still seem to be pretty bare.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Looks like the 2022 price increase really slowed down the frenzy for the SJ. It was impossible to find the 2021's in any variety. I had to drive a long way to get mine. Now in my area there's 2022 experts, EVO Comps and even a Pro in my size just sitting at the shops. Feels like they may have priced them higher than people's comfort zones as bike demand still seems super high, looking at the sales floors, they still seem to be pretty bare.
Yeah I was looking at the EVO expert potentially for a my more aggressive option for next season, but at $6000 there are other bikes to look at, I ended up just ordering a Evil Wreckoning GX for $5800 and will use the $200 difference to help upgrade the G2 RS brakes to Code RSC's.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
My shock got tuned yesterday, but I won't have time to ride it until tomorrow. Interesting feedback from Ohlins though, they recommended going 3 tunes lighter than the stock setup for the SJ. I told Fluid Focus no way and to put more rebound damping into the tune. Excited to try it out and see how it feels!

·
Registered
303 Posts
My shock got tuned yesterday, but I won't have time to ride it until tomorrow. Interesting feedback from Ohlins though, they recommended going 3 tunes lighter than the stock setup for the SJ. I told Fluid Focus no way and to put more rebound damping into the tune. Excited to try it out and see how it feels!
I am looking forward to your assessment. I've been happy with the performance of the 2021 stock TTX1 out of the box, but have also considered a custom tune. Have also heard great things about Fluid Focus - what has your experience been with them?

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I am looking forward to your assessment. I've been happy with the performance of the 2021 stock TTX1 out of the box, but have also considered a custom tune. Have also heard great things about Fluid Focus - what has your experience been with them?
I use Ryan for all my custom stuff. Never been disappointed, he knows what he is doing and has all the tools necessary. As an example with my TTX Air tune I got a full dyno plot back with it today. He has a bench dyno in addition to a full data logging setup if you want that kind of service. It isn't just some person that bought a few Fox tools and started doing lower leg services.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone take their bike up to a bike park yet? Taking my comp carbon to snow summit next week with a buddy. Should I run higher pressure to avoid bottoming out too much or should I consider volume spacers in the fork/shock? I do bottom out on my local trails here and there but hasn’t been harsh. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Anyone take their bike up to a bike park yet? Taking my comp carbon to snow summit next week with a buddy. Should I run higher pressure to avoid bottoming out too much or should I consider volume spacers in the fork/shock? I do bottom out on my local trails here and there but hasn’t been harsh. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
I find the shock is fine (never bottoms out) due to the progressive tune Specialized had done to it, however I added 20 PSI above what the Specialized Calc advised

The Fork will depend on which model you have and you're weight.
I'm 185lbs on a Stumpjumper Carbon Comp and can bottom the Rhythm quite easily as it comes with no tokens/spacers.
Adding 2 spacers corrected this for me but If I was hitting a Bike Park I might add a 3rd.

IMO If you're bottoming (or even getting close) on reg trails you most likely will need a few spacers for a Bike Park

·
Registered
381 Posts

I tried the larger spacer in the rear shock and did not like it at all. Went back to the original and added 10 extra psi, so I’m running about 280 psi and weigh 210 geared up. It feels pretty good but I might take 5 psi out. I didn’t care for the feel of the 34 so I put a Pike on and it’s just feels like home. The 34 is the E version so a little heavier too. If anyone needs a lightly used 34e Grip2 hit me up. Loving the bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,551 Posts

Bike is pretty dialed at this point. Tune on the Ohlins feels good after some additional tweaking. Still need to get it on some of the faster/rougher trails to solidify my initial impressions from the last two rides. Enjoying this bike more every day I ride it. Did 25 miles of more XC stuff yesterday and had a blast.

1501 - 1520 of 1554 Posts