Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just got my 2021 Carbon Comp. I just got it built and set up. Waiting for the rain to stop for a shakedown ride. S4 seems right for 6' even. I like a slightly compact fit for xc including some tight stuff and flow trails. Traverse SL for xc and stock wheels/tires trips the shuttle rides. Can't wait to hit the dirt. I ordered Ride Wrap to protect the matte paint from scratches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've got upgradeitis and tinkeritis intend to make this my one bike for local trails and mountains.

Edit: also, the 34 with a 140mm air spring was actually very close to 150mm travel. The 36 was not, it was 140 on the nose. Couldn't go down in travel, right? 🤣
How was the bike with a 140mm fork?

·
Registered
282 Posts
How do you like the ohlins ttx1 do far, and how does it compare? It looks great on the bike!
It's great - has the unmistakable feeling of a recirculating oil damper vs. the monotube Fox. I will say the Fox was pretty well-tuned for this bike, and I don't really think the upgrade is necessary. I had a DB Kitsuma on my previous GG and the TTX feels similar, but with a simpler setup.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Anyone else noticing that the shim that comes with the bike to accommodate 30.9mm posts causes the seatpost to creak no matter how much carbon prep you use? I am wondering if a 34.9 post is the only way to quiet the seatpost creak.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Anyone else noticing that the shim that comes with the bike to accommodate 30.9mm posts causes the seatpost to creak no matter how much carbon prep you use? I am wondering if a 34.9 post is the only way to quiet the seatpost creak.
I didn't get a shim.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where are you putting the carbon paste? The shim itself is probably not carbon, either plastic or aluminum. I believe it has a lip at the top so it won't fall into the frame. Thus I don't think you'd need carbon paste between the shim and the seat tube. I'd use grease for the contact between the seatpost and the shim, just like on an alloy frame.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Where are you putting the carbon paste? The shim itself is probably not carbon, either plastic or aluminum. I believe it has a lip at the top so it won't fall into the frame. Thus I don't think you'd need carbon paste between the shim and the seat tube. I'd use grease for the contact between the seatpost and the shim, just like on an alloy frame.
The manual specifically suggests carbon assembly paste, but you make a good point. I'll try it next time I pull the post to stop it from creaking.

·
Registered
727 Posts
im not getting any creaking, used carbon paste as the manual suggested.

has anyone used a 160mm fork? i know the manual says 150mm max, but I'm waiting on some parts to lower a 36 and i kind of want to try it at 160 before i lower it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey skinnybex

Are you still liking your SJ?

I asked you a while ago about a comparison with your old SB100 - you gave a great reply.

I was going to wait for a replacement to the SB100/SB115 (I’ve been riding yetis for the past several years so pretty comfortable on them) but decided to try out the Stumpjumper and have an S works frame arriving in a couple of weeks.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts now that you’ve had it for a few months

·
Registered
406 Posts
First ride on the new bike. First thing I noticed was a lot of hand pain, started within 10 minutes of riding. Took all the measurements from my previous bike and tried to get it as close as possible. The fit itself feels really good. Seat is in a neutral to very slightly back position, not nose down. What's the best way to fix this? Stem with a rise on it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
First ride on the new bike. First thing I noticed was a lot of hand pain, started within 10 minutes of riding. Took all the measurements from my previous bike and tried to get it as close as possible. The fit itself feels really good. Seat is in a neutral to very slightly back position, not nose down. What's the best way to fix this? Stem with a rise on it?
The Handlebar and stem are stiff as hell. I swapped out my SWorks Carbon Bar. I'm sure some downhill Burly dudes appreciate the 35 mm bar that I have no need for it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had sorta the same thing on my first ride, hands went a little numb, no pain. I had already switched ta a 31.8 stem and ENVE carbon bars before the first ride. I attribute the numbness to the steeper than I'm used to seat tube angle putting more pressure on my hands. I tilted the seat nose up a bit at swapped a spacer from on top of the stem to below to give a little more rise and it took care of my issue.

I also agree with Flash, that 35mm stem and aluminum bar combo got to be harsh...

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had sorta the same thing on my first ride, hands went a little numb, no pain. I had already switched ta a 31.8 stem and ENVE carbon bars before the first ride. I attribute the numbness to the steeper than I'm used to seat tube angle putting more pressure on my hands. I tilted the seat nose up a bit at swapped a spacer from on top of the stem to below to give a little more rise and it took care of my issue.

I also agree with Flash, that 35mm stem and aluminum bar combo got to be harsh...
Thanks. I threw two of the spacers underneath the stem to see if that helps. If that doesn't work I'll then look at swapping out the bars and stem to something with a tad more rise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally landed one. Spent 15 hours in the car traveling to pick it up. Made for a long day but excited to try this thing out. View attachment 1929631
dedication!!! Enjoy!
Thanks. I threw two of the spacers underneath the stem to see if that helps. If that doesn't work I'll then look at swapping out the bars and stem to something with a tad more rise.
I am newbie but I heard people with hand pain also switching to Ergon grips and carbon bars. Unrelated I tried a Santa Cruz Hightower Medium, immediately had wrist pain. Tried a large, no wrist pain. Ended up with an
s3 stumpy.

1201 - 1220 of 1220 Posts