Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Also, the fork feels great for larger hits, but has been a tad harsh over the trail chatter when riding at high speeds. Might be the 35mm bar. I am wondering if anyone has opened up the air spring to check for excess grease in the negative spring, as I know this has been an issue with Fox forks in the past.
I pulled my 36 apart today to swap to a 150mm air spring and sure enough, there was a massive glob of grease on top of the air shaft seal head. No wonder it took so long to get the negative chamber to equalize.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, I ordered a frame a few months ago. As I wait for parts, I'm a little concerned about the ISCG situation. Normally I run a small bash guard but with only 2 bolts that's not kosher for these bikes. I don't hit it often, but... often enough I'd like to not run without a bash guard.

Anyone have any good solutions that my googlefu is not finding? Is there such a thing as a bash guard that mounts on both the BB and the front 2 ISCG bolts?

I found this article, but I'm not running Shimano cranks so it's not an option for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Any reason you decided to go 150mm after trying 140mm? I’m tempted to do the same.
I've got upgradeitis and tinkeritis intend to make this my one bike for local trails and mountains.

Edit: also, the 34 with a 140mm air spring was actually very close to 150mm travel. The 36 was not, it was 140 on the nose. Couldn't go down in travel, right? 🤣

·
Registered
406 Posts
Anyone with the carbon version without the horst link. Is the ride still nice and smooth, or have the characteristics changed? It's impossible to throw a leg over one right now obviously. My rides have quite a bit of elevation change, currently I'm locking out the rear on the ups and enjoying the plushness of the fsr on the downs. Locking out the rear doesn't bother me as I've been doing it for 20 years on various bikes, but really like the idea of a more efficient climber. I know specialized says the flex stay works the same, but I'm curious if you feel the same?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone with the carbon version without the horst link. Is the ride still nice and smooth, or have the characteristics changed? It's impossible to throw a leg over one right now obviously. My rides have quite a bit of elevation change, currently I'm locking out the rear on the ups and enjoying the plushness of the fsr on the downs. Locking out the rear doesn't bother me as I've been doing it for 20 years on various bikes, but really like the idea of a more efficient climber. I know specialized says the flex stay works the same, but I'm curious if you feel the same?
I have a 2019 stumpjumper expert with carbon rims and 2.6 x 29. It has Pike 150 and I run 140 in back. I wanted something similar, but with a little more platform for climbing and sprinting. I didn’t want an enduro bike. I used the both shock levers when climbing on the 2019. In the past I have had hard tail race bikes and enduro bikes so I know what is softer and firmer. Yesterday a shop in Santa Cruz had the EVO and the regular stumpjumper in comp. I spent and hour jumping off curbs, making turns, sprinting and bunny hopping both bikes. The EVO definitely has a slicker head tube, turns slower and sprints slightly slower than the 2019. But, the sprinting is partly due to the wheels and tires (T9 in front). The regular stumpjumper sprinted faster and felt lively vs the 2019. I expect I will lose a slight amount of cushion whithout the horst links on the back end. The reviews seemed accurate. But, a parking lot isn’t demo on a real trail. Good Luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Finally landed one. Started getting pretty discouraged but a shop I'd placed a deposit on a while back said it arrived. It's 400 miles from my house so a road trip is in order. It'll be built up by next weekend they think.

This is my first carbon bike. What kind of frame protection do I need? Does it come with any? I know they used to when I bought my last bike. I see kits sold specifically for this bike but haven't ever done that. I'm getting the smoke grey, so I assume I wouldn't want gloss film over that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anyone with the carbon version without the horst link. Is the ride still nice and smooth, or have the characteristics changed? My rides have quite a bit of elevation change, currently I'm locking out the rear on the ups and enjoying the plushness of the fsr on the downs. Locking out the rear doesn't bother me as I've been doing it for 20 years on various bikes, but really like the idea of a more efficient climber. I know specialized says the flex stay works the same, but I'm curious if you feel the same?
I wouldn't say the ride is not smooth, but I would say that it climbs really well.

I have three Stumpy's and a Tallboy 2. The baby is the 2021 Stumpy Expert with just over 100 miles on it, built with rims and cranks @ about 27.5 lbs. up to Pro level. (If you run into Mrs. G, don't tell her about this, cuz I haven't broken the news yet.) This bike is what I rode Saturday two weeks ago at Allaire State Park and PR'ed three uphill segments that I have ridden up to 55 times each. On one of the segments, I had to pause and politely pass 4 guys on single track. Point of reference: I am 66 years old. I REALLY like this bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally landed one. Started getting pretty discouraged but a shop I'd placed a deposit on a while back said it arrived. It's 400 miles from my house so a road trip is in order. It'll be built up by next weekend they think.

This is my first carbon bike. What kind of frame protection do I need? Does it come with any? I know they used to when I bought my last bike. I see kits sold specifically for this bike but haven't ever done that. I'm getting the smoke grey, so I assume I wouldn't want gloss film over that.
I am in eastern canada and had Bikeshield wrap the bike. I chose the 65% matte wrap. I think the color of the frame pops a little bit more. In terms of frame protection coming with the bike there is a plastic shield under the bottom bracket and a protector on the chain stay

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't have experience with previous versions of this bike, but I can't tell the difference between the flex stay setup and a traditional linkage. This bike is as active as I'd expect a 130mm bike to be, maybe even more so since the overall kinematics with the stays flexing are unique. The first half of the travel is used very easily and the bike resists bottoming very well. The stays are preloaded as the suspension compresses, so they offer some degree of platform. It's difficult to explain since it's not like any other bike I've ridden. I'm happy with the suspension personally. I did add one size larger spacer (the orange one) and am running about 30 lbs over bodyweight in the shock. Next step is trying another damper, either a TTX1 or the new Float X if it fits. With the progressive geo and a 36 I feel like this bike is a pretty good single bike solution for everything short of the bike park. Rode it in Pisgah and was overall very happy. I think it would also be very effective with a lighter, more trail-oriented build like most folks are doing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got a quick Stumpjumper question. I know the suspension setup setup is different between the alloy and carbon models, but I am trying to figure out of they use the same shock? I know they are both 190x45, just not sure if the mounts are different.

The deal is I've got two Stumpy's on order, an Alloy for my son and an Alloy Comp for me. I've got a line on a DPS Float Factory Kashima, if it will fit my bike I'll upgrade my son's bike with my Float DPS. TIA!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've skimmed the thread and looked at all the pictures. Can someone confirm the largest tire size you can run in the rear on the carbon frames?

I think I see some 2.4 Onzas on one bike but wondering what else some of you may be running besides the stock Specialized tires.

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've skimmed the thread and looked at all the pictures. Can someone confirm the largest tire size you can run in the rear on the carbon frames?

I think I see some 2.4 Onzas on one bike but wondering what else some of you may be running besides the stock Specialized tires.

Thanks.
I did run a 2.6 Rekon with no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone else a heavier rider riding a Stumpy? I'm 110kg all kitted up and running a ohlins ttx1 shock fully maxed out.

Not sure if it's my weight but suspension feels a little squishy (not much anti squat) when climbing.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Got a pair of the new carbon Roval Control wheels and tossed those on with an Eliminator front and Ground Control rear, should be a good summer setup. Also dropped the weight down to 27.53lbs. In theory the rims should hold up, but we shall see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts

Got a pair of the new carbon Roval Control wheels and tossed those on with an Eliminator front and Ground Control rear, should be a good summer setup. Also dropped the weight down to 27.53lbs. In theory the rims should hold up, but we shall see!

Looks great! Are the GCs grid trails?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks great! Are the GCs grid trails?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The ground control is just grid casing, not grid trail. I’ve personally had plenty of luck with regular grid casing tires even in rocky places like Downieville. This likely won’t be my everyday tire setup, just testing options really.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The rear shock on the '21 Comp Carbon is the basic 3 position DPS. No open mode adjustments. For a 160 pounder taking no drops mostly on fast flowy steep trails, is the rear shock still going to be a weak link? Currently on an Offering with X2 that is a bit too small and the X2 is overkill for my trails.

Worth upgrading the Comp Carbon's rear shock or will it be fine for the above rider and trail conditions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the comp model in size S5 last week and have ridden it every day since. This is my first full suspension bike after riding Scott Scale hardtails for the past 20-ish years. I'm a cross country rider/racer so this is a bit more capable than I necessarily need but I bought it because it is very comfortable and I wanted to try the modern, slack (to me) geometry. Handling is different than I'm used to but in a good way where I don't have to work as hard to get good cornering traction from the front wheel. It's way more stable than I'm used to. Is very easy to track stand and make tight turns at crawl speeds. Pedaling efficiency is good enough for me where if the hardtails are 10 efficient, this bike feels like 8-9. Most of my Strava segment times on my training loops are the same on this bike as they are on the hardtails so the clock is backing up my perception of efficiency. The SLX drivertrain and brakes are good, no complaints though I suspect they may get overwhelmed if I race it. I like the saddle and was already running it on my hardtails as I'm a Spec saddle and tire fan. This is going to be a great bike to tear around with my buddies and I'm happy with the purchase. Biggest question to answer is how it will handle tight, windy single track. My hardtails excel in that environment and I'm wondering how this will do.

1181 - 1200 of 1220 Posts