Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any idea if the casecade components linkage is compatible with the new stumpy? The shock size matches the 27.5 stumpy ST from last year, which is compatible, but has the linkage otherwise changed?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Any idea if the casecade components linkage is compatible with the new stumpy? The shock size matches the 27.5 stumpy ST from last year, which is compatible, but has the linkage otherwise changed?
Might reach out to them but I saw someone on Instagram ask the same, Cascade responded about the flex stays possibly being an issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The new alloy model shares the same linkages as the new EVO. Technically the one for the new EVO should work, but I don't think Cascade had had a chance to test one yet.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Anyone in the 220-230 lb range RTR riding this new Stumpy carbon? How do the flex stays combined with digressive shock and leverage ratio work for someone my size? What air pressure are you running and do you find it supple enough without bottoming out on drops?

Anyone have a photo of an S6 to share?

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was finally able to sit on one of these. In what I believe is my correct size S4 (6'1 180lbs). One thing I noticed, coming from a 2015 Evo 29 large, I feel like I'm sitting high up and on top of the 2021. My 2015 feels like I'm stretched out a little more and way back on the bike, just sitting on the 2021 I honestly feel like going over the bars is way more likely. I realize I would be going to a way slacker head tube angle so it'll counter that feeling. But will I get used to the new Geo easily? I can't actually ride it because it was someone else's bike they hadn't picked up yet. Will most likely be traveling quite a ways to pick up in stock bike.

·
The dark side is quicker
184 Posts

Here’s mine, not this bike is fun. Pretty happy to have the S5 down to 28.5lbs even with a heavy 200mm dropper and proper tires. A few tweaks could get me to 28lbs even without changing tires, but not so sure I want to chase the weight quite that much..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Given the S5 and still quite a bit of dropper showing...I assume youre a tall guy? How tall and thoughts about fit, please.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Given the S5 and still quite a bit of dropper showing...I assume youre a tall guy? How tall and thoughts about fit, please.
6’1”, but legs of someone who’s much taller. Saddle height is about 82cm. Always end up with a ton of seatpost out of the frame.. that’s a 200mm dropper even and it looks silly.

Fit wise, it feels really really good. This is the longest reach bike I’ve ridden, paired with a 50mm stem it feels great. I have a 40mm stem I may try at some point just to see. Wheelbase is quite long, but only really notice that in very tight corners, nothing that can’t be planned for. I really like the longer chainstays as well compared to previous bikes.

·
The dark side is quicker
184 Posts
6’1”, but legs of someone who’s much taller. Saddle height is about 82cm. Always end up with a ton of seatpost out of the frame.. that’s a 200mm dropper even and it looks silly.

Fit wise, it feels really really good. This is the longest reach bike I’ve ridden, paired with a 50mm stem it feels great. I have a 40mm stem I may try at some point just to see. Wheelbase is quite long, but only really notice that in very tight corners, nothing that can’t be planned for. I really like the longer chainstays as well compared to previous bikes.

Thank you for that!
I just got my S5 S-works frame and the sizing has scared me a bit...mostly because of the seat tube angle. I'm 193cm (and pretty even proportioned) and have always rode XLs.
I do work at a Spesh shop and did get a chance to sit on an S5 a few months ago, but didn't really get any ride time. It did feel short when seated though. When I stood up, it felt ok....but, again that was months ago. Haven't seen an S6 come through at all yet.

·
Registered
406 Posts

I'm in between an S4 and a S5. 6'1 with 34 inch inseam. I'm concerned at the S5 feeling like a trail limo. I also like sitting more upright as it's easier on my lower back I've discovered over the years. I've always ridden large Stumpjumpers. But have a lead on an S5 a 6 hour drive from home. Current dilemma, buy the S5 without ever sitting on one. Or wait until an unknown time when a S4 could be available. We have lots of tight turns where I ride. The last thing I want to do is find out the S5 won't corner without hopping off, that would take the fun out of it for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in between an S4 and a S5. 6'1 with 34 inch inseam. I'm concerned at the S5 feeling like a trail limo. I also like sitting more upright as it's easier on my lower back I've discovered over the years. I've always ridden large Stumpjumpers. But have a lead on an S5 a 6 hour drive from home. Current dilemma, buy the S5 without ever sitting on one. Or wait until an unknown time when a S4 could be available. We have lots of tight turns where I ride. The last thing I want to do is find out the S5 won't corner without hopping off, that would take the fun out of it for me.
I was lucky that there was an alloy s4 Stumpjumper when I bought my S3 Carbon comp Stumpjumper. At least I could sit on both.

Ended up with the S3 even though I find it looks unusually short (visually) compared to other bikes from other brands.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another 5.9 here and I'm pretty happy with S3. With my preference of the seat height and reach to handlebars, S4 will push me to 40mm stem and seat moved all the way forward in the rails. Maybe it'll be better than 50mm stem and centered seat I have now. I just don't know. Somehow I don't want this bike to be too enduro. Similarly, I didn't go with Fox 36.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dealerships across the country can't get these bikes in stock for local customers. I don't know the back story here but making an assumption. This sure looks like a shop in Florida shipping a brand new bike. What would anyone in Florida do with a bike like this anyway? When I visited, the highest point was a 28 foot overpass. Just frustrated waiting on availability.

Looks like only one picture uploaded. Edited to add 2nd picture.

Attachments

·
ultra member
177 Posts
Picked up a S5 Expert two weeks ago and have been loving the bike. I did a parking lot test with the standard and Evo, and the poppiness of the standard model felt much better. I have always ridden aggressive hardtails, and the Evo felt a bit too mushy for my riding style.

For those who are on a bike with the Grip 2 damper in the fork, I have some questions. Are the clicks on the LSC dial barely perceptible on your fork? When making adjustments I feel like I have to really focus to feel the clicks. The LSC adjustment range also feels less than what I have experienced on my Lyric (granted most of this range was unusable and too stiff). The HSC dial has very defined detents. Same goes for the rebound. LSR dial has vague clicks, and the HSR dial is stiff with very defined clicks. The rebound range also seems more limited compared to my Lyric. I have always ridden Rockshox and this is my first Fox fork.

Also, the fork feels great for larger hits, but has been a tad harsh over the trail chatter when riding at high speeds. Might be the 35mm bar. I am wondering if anyone has opened up the air spring to check for excess grease in the negative spring, as I know this has been an issue with Fox forks in the past.

·
Trail Rider
1,422 Posts
The detents are relatively distinguishable to me. I did remove all tokens from the air chamber. The Grip 2 is very adjustable so I didn't feel the need for them. It's helped with the smaller trail chatter.

I'd also like to reaffirm that the SJ is indeed wickedly sublime. Still loving the bike.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Picked up a S5 Expert two weeks ago and have been loving the bike. I did a parking lot test with the standard and Evo, and the poppiness of the standard model felt much better. I have always ridden aggressive hardtails, and the Evo felt a bit too mushy for my riding style.

For those who are on a bike with the Grip 2 damper in the fork, I have some questions. Are the clicks on the LSC dial barely perceptible on your fork? When making adjustments I feel like I have to really focus to feel the clicks. The LSC adjustment range also feels less than what I have experienced on my Lyric (granted most of this range was unusable and too stiff). The HSC dial has very defined detents. Same goes for the rebound. LSR dial has vague clicks, and the HSR dial is stiff with very defined clicks. The rebound range also seems more limited compared to my Lyric. I have always ridden Rockshox and this is my first Fox fork.

Also, the fork feels great for larger hits, but has been a tad harsh over the trail chatter when riding at high speeds. Might be the 35mm bar. I am wondering if anyone has opened up the air spring to check for excess grease in the negative spring, as I know this has been an issue with Fox forks in the past.
The LSC dial definitely feels different than the other three dials, but I wouldn't say it's less perceptible. It just requires more rotation to hit each detent position. LSC takes almost half a turn before you hit the next click. All the other dials have very little rotation between clicks. The LSC dial also moves much more easily. At least this is my experience.

1161 - 1180 of 1220 Posts