Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1080 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Interesting, I would be curious to hear your thoughts about how it compares to the DPS with the larger reducer.
Unless I need to send off the Ohlins for service I doubt I will ride the DPS again.

The volume reducers were only to help with harsh bottom outs. My experience with the improvement in climbing platform, tech climbing traction and composure are the comparisons to note.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Has anyone tried a Chris King or Cane Creek headset on their stumpy? I’m not really digging the stock one that comes with the sworks frame. The cap is a bit tight on the stumpy frame while my enduro has a gap that a fingernail easily fits into.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Has anyone tried a Chris King or Cane Creek headset on their stumpy? I’m not really digging the stock one that comes with the sworks frame. The cap is a bit tight on the stumpy frame while my enduro has a gap that a fingernail easily fits into.
I don't have experience with other headsets, but it appears to be no issues with the stock headset at all. The top cap on mine is tight, but it's not touching the frame. It seems to be a perfect gap. It's also much smoother than my other Cane Creek headsets.

The included bearings are taller that the ones used in IS Cane Creek. I don't remember if both the lower and upper are taller, or just one of them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't have experience with other headsets, but it appears to be no issues with the stock headset at all. The top cap on mine is tight, but it's not touching the frame. It seems to be a perfect gap. It's also much smoother than my other Cane Creek headsets.

The included bearings are taller that the ones used in IS Cane Creek. I don't remember if both the lower and upper are taller, or just one of them.
Interesting, thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
953 Posts

Got the stumpy built and out for real ride this morning. I had some trepidation because I’ve never been happy with these tiny rp23 style shocks but the first ride made a good impression. Bike is crazy light for what it is, 26.26lbs w/o pedals but with bottle cage and some dirt on the parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anybody with experience on both the new Stumpy and Epic Evo? I have a '21 Epic Evo which I love but I'm looking for a second bike that can handle rough stuff a little better, as well as a few trips a year to the bike park, without giving up too much climbing ability. The Stumpy Evo seems like more bike than I'll ever need but I'm also thinking the regular Stumpy might be too similar to my Epic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anybody with experience on both the new Stumpy and Epic Evo? I have a '21 Epic Evo which I love but I'm looking for a second bike that can handle rough stuff a little better, as well as a few trips a year to the bike park, without giving up too much climbing ability. The Stumpy Evo seems like more bike than I'll ever need but I'm also thinking the regular Stumpy might be too similar to my Epic.
I’ve been lurking here because I have a similar dilemma. I own a transition spur which I love, but want something a little more capable. I was thinking SJ Evo, but I am wondering if the regular SJ will fit the bill while still being fun to pedal. Also there’s two experts in my size at the LBS (!). But not sure if there’s too much overlap with the spur or if that should even matter. I think a 140 fox 34 is very different from a 120 SID. Curious to hear what Stumpjumper ownwers (are you just called stumpjumpers?) think.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I’ve been lurking here because I have a similar dilemma. I own a transition spur which I love, but want something a little more capable. I was thinking SJ Evo, but I am wondering if the regular SJ will fit the bill while still being fun to pedal. Also there’s two experts in my size at the LBS (!). But not sure if there’s too much overlap with the spur or if that should even matter. I think a 140 fox 34 is very different from a 120 SID. Curious to hear what Stumpjumper ownwers (are you just called stumpjumpers?) think.
Definitely go with the New SJ Evo instead of the regular Stumpy. You’ll want that added rear travel and Geo adjust that the evo gives. I have a Stumpy and an Enduro which a perfect complements. Or an Epic Evo / Spur - Stumpy Evo would be a similar perfect 2 bike quiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would go with the Stumpy Evo. I think the Epic Evo and Stumpy have too much over lap. The Epic Evo and Stumpy Evo would be a great combo to have!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New poster here, long time rider but more on the road, lately a lot more mountain biking on a ~2008 Cannondale hardtail 26". Was thinking of a new bike and going full suspension. I'm 5'6" so either a S2 or S3 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon was appealing to me (love the idea of the internal SWAT storage as well) but locally the shop only has a s3 in the white color which I'd rather have the darker one. So I called a shop about an hour away and they have a couple s2 and s3 but the EVO model which I had assumed was more than i needed suspension-wise (plus I like the idea of the simpler and lighter non horst link suspension on the non-EVO). I don't do any real jumps, nor do I go to bike parks, but the shop made a good point in that they said the EVO with more suspension is more applicable to our local conditions here in north NJ. I didn't even think of that earlier. My riding has a lot of rocks, roots, bumps, etc. that sometimes on a hard tail is hard of course :). Does the EVO make more sense for me? The shop also mentioned of course that the EVO models are more adjustable of course for a second reason to pick over non-EVO.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
New poster here, long time rider but more on the road, lately a lot more mountain biking on a ~2008 Cannondale hardtail 26". Was thinking of a new bike and going full suspension. I'm 5'6" so either a S2 or S3 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon was appealing to me (love the idea of the internal SWAT storage as well) but locally the shop only has a s3 in the white color which I'd rather have the darker one. So I called a shop about an hour away and they have a couple s2 and s3 but the EVO model which I had assumed was more than i needed suspension-wise (plus I like the idea of the simpler and lighter non horst link suspension on the non-EVO). I don't do any real jumps, nor do I go to bike parks, but the shop made a good point in that they said the EVO with more suspension is more applicable to our local conditions here in north NJ. I didn't even think of that earlier. My riding has a lot of rocks, roots, bumps, etc. that sometimes on a hard tail is hard of course :). Does the EVO make more sense for me? The shop also mentioned of course that the EVO models are more adjustable of course for a second reason to pick over non-EVO.
If you accept the Evo for what it is, the bike is fantastic and a true one bike solution. I have used mine from 50 mile/6K ride days to a week in Whistler. It performed flawlessly in both situations. What is won't do is let you race your friends to the top of a climb that are on XC race bikes or race your friends in the bike park that are on DH bikes. It does have an incredibly wide range though.

One other note is that it may make it difficult to switch back to traditional geometry once you start riding the newer setups. I run multiple bikes and ended up hating the more traditional geo of my Levo after being on the Evo and the new Enduro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you accept the Evo for what it is, the bike is fantastic and a true one bike solution. I have used mine from 50 mile/6K ride days to a week in Whistler. It performed flawlessly in both situations. What is won't do is let you race your friends to the top of a climb that are on XC race bikes or race your friends in the bike park that are on DH bikes. It does have an incredibly wide range though.

One other note is that it may make it difficult to switch back to traditional geometry once you start riding the newer setups. I run multiple bikes and ended up hating the more traditional geo of my Levo after being on the Evo and the new Enduro.

thanks for the feedback! I am looking for a one bike mountain bike as the cannondale hardtail will either move to backup, son or wife and everyone has told me that geometry-wise it will be completely different which I'm looking forward to, especially with confidence in tricky situations

·
Registered
2021 Stumpjumper S-Works, 2020 Yeti Arc
592 Posts
thanks for the feedback! I am looking for a one bike mountain bike as the cannondale hardtail will either move to backup, son or wife and everyone has told me that geometry-wise it will be completely different which I'm looking forward to, especially with confidence in tricky situations
This is basically my setup. I’ve got my 2021 Stumpy and a Yeti Arc hardtail. I’m not usually a two MTB bike guy but this is a great combo.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Imo, you should buy the standard SJ. Basing that on what you ride now, your no jump ride style, the trails you likely ride, etc.
However if you can, ride both on the same day, even if it's only on pavement.
Current inventory options are too limited to worry about frame color.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Here’s mine, not this bike is fun. Pretty happy to have the S5 down to 28.5lbs even with a heavy 200mm dropper and proper tires. A few tweaks could get me to 28lbs even without changing tires, but not so sure I want to chase the weight quite that much..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone tried a Cane Creek DBInline shock on their regular stumpy? Curious as to whether it would fit, I assume it would, but would hate to buy one for it to not!

1061 - 1080 of 1080 Posts