Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1082 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
They have to recommend what will work for Joe Average, who is probably not riding all that aggressively. I rode again today at 230 PSI for my 180lb weight and ~25% sag and it was perfect, I'm gonna stick with that and not even bother with spacers.
Yep, sure enough, I bumped the pressure up to 190 for my 160rtr yielding about 25% sag then dropped the fork pressure to 75 and I like it!
For folks who are reaching the bottom, are you simply using all of the travel or hitting the bottom such that you are losing control? If it’s the former, is that a bad thing? If the latter, it would be good to hear how the extra spacer changes things.
[/QUOTE]
For me, it's been the fact that I've been using all the travel on relatively low impact terrain (flowy jumps. 4-6ft drops with smooth landings, etc (using pedal mode compression setting.) Its not that I've had any bone jarring impacts tho.
Honestly, I think you are right though, that using your travel is the whole point of having suspension. I just am not sure how the bike will handle bigger features or more importantly the misjudged cased landings and over shots that my Enduro just forgives me for. Maybe I should have bought an Evo, but the bike is just so fun to ride fast and uphill too. I wouldn't want to give that up. While not crazy light, I think mine is around 28lbs, which is really refreshing when you are used to pushing 30plus

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep, sure enough, I bumped the pressure up to 190 for my 160rtr yielding about 25% sag then dropped the fork pressure to 75 and I like it!
For folks who are reaching the bottom, are you simply using all of the travel or hitting the bottom such that you are losing control? If it’s the former, is that a bad thing? If the latter, it would be good to hear how the extra spacer changes things.
I'm at 210 PSI for 30% sag. I'm about 160 lbs with gear. Jumping 2-3 feet on flat (not a pretty landing actually, this is why I test every bike there) uses all travel all time. It ends with a gentle knock every time. Never harsh. The O-ring stays on the shaft. Vs say when I calibrated Shockwiz, I can compress it the way that the o-ring will fall off. So it seems to be hitting the bottom out bumper, but not too hard.

I'm receiving the spacer kit today. Hopefully can test it soon. I'm in a high mode, if it matters. 30% static sag is confirmed by shockwiz.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I just installed the Orange .80 volume spacer in the DPS Shock and removed the Yellow .60 volume spacer that comes stock in the air can. I’m going to hold off on trying the largest Red .95 volume spacer as I’m hoping the Orange one will do the trick. I’m going to run 185psi in my shock and see how it feels since I’m between 160-162 pounds RTR. We had some afternoon rain today so hopefully I’ll be on the trails by 11am to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: danK

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yep - always a compromise.
I just installed the Orange .80 volume spacer in the DPS Shock and removed the Yellow .60 volume spacer that comes stock in the air can. I’m going to hold off on trying the largest Red .95 volume spacer as I’m hoping the Orange one will do the trick. I’m going to run 185psi in my shock and see how it feels since I’m between 160-162 pounds RTR. We had some afternoon rain today so hopefully I’ll be on the trails by 11am to test.
Looking forward to hearing your results. I ordered a volume spacer kit just in case.

Who's gonna be the first to measure and try to fit a CCDB Coil IL?! 🤣

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
2021 WHIP PXL_20210102_135825179-01 (1).jpg

Stumpy Expert, Santa Cruz Reserve rims, carbon cranks 27.5 lbs with a tube, pedals and a lighter, color match seat from inventory that :DI had forgotten about.

Almost makes me want to race again. Just got my town bicycle license this week so it is ready to ride after a 2.5 month wait from the LBS. Now I have to pray for the local mud to freeze hard.

·
Registered
561 Posts
View attachment 1912547

Stumpy Expert, Santa Cruz Reserve rims, carbon cranks 27.5 lbs with a tube, pedals and a lighter, color match seat from inventory that :DI had forgotten about.

Almost makes me want to race again. Just got my town bicycle license this week so it is ready to ride after a 2.5 month wait from the LBS. Now I have to pray for the local mud to freeze hard.
That looks very nice. What size?

What's a town bicycle license?

·
Registered
122 Posts
That looks very nice. What size?

What's a town bicycle license?
Size is S4.

Our town "requires" each bike have a license sticker for $1. They waived the fee due to the pandemic. I got the license because of some county park regulations that I want to comply with.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Size is S4.

Our town "requires" each bike have a license sticker for $1. They waived the fee due to the pandemic. I got the license because of some county park regulations that I want to comply with.
Nice, thanks on the size.

I had never heard of a town requiring bike licenses! Interesting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just picked up a 2021 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy 29er (130mm rear and 140mm fork). For anyone who has ridden both the carbon and the alloy versions, do you think there's a significant difference in the ride quality?

I'm also having second thoughts about if this bike is ideal for me... I ride single track in Georgia - some rooty stuff but mainly flowy trails and no drops over 1 foot. I'm getting older so my main goal was for an efficient pedaling/climbing bike with plenty plushness. I was disappointed to find that the weight of the alloy version is about 33lbs (with pedals). So if I keep the bike, I'd at least like to get the bike to 30lbs flat. For those of you who have upgraded the alloy comp model, what specifically did you do and what weight did you manage to reach?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
So the bike feels better with the .80 spacer and 185 psi for my 162-164 pound RTR weight. I bottomed the shock on this drop the 2 times I tested it, it’s about 8 foot tall from take off to landing but definitely better than the stock setup.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Here’s the photo of the O-ring after that drop. Also the bike felt good on some nice table tops and booters I hit. I’m at 13.5mm on sag and may try 5 more psi before I move to the Largest Red Token which is .95

·
Registered
391 Posts
Skinnybex That is drop the hammer, or a couple drops after it? I did the same trails yesterday with my 190psi and 160lbs rtr and bottomed pretty good, so I think I may have to go get me a spacer kit. Interestingly a three to four foot drop to flat bottomed me out harder than the hammer, goes to show how important the landing is. One thing is for sure, the stump jumper is not my Enduro 29. It's making me rethink selling that bike for sure.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Skinnybex That is drop the hammer, or a couple drops after it? I did the same trails yesterday with my 190psi and 160lbs rtr and bottomed pretty good, so I think I may have to go get me a spacer kit. Interestingly a three to four foot drop to flat bottomed me out harder than the hammer, goes to show how important the landing is. One thing is for sure, the stump jumper is not my Enduro 29. It's making me rethink selling that bike for sure.
I’ve hit drop the hammer 2 times on this bike and no longer wanna abuse the suspension. I’m much happier with this Volume spacer and maybe a bit more air and I’ll be settled. I also have my Enduro but It’s not the bike I’m grabbing 90% of the time.

Reactions: YamaLink

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's an impressive drop that your average rider won't do. I would certainly have to build up some courage! My guess is that an 8 ft drop is probably a bit more than what that bike was designed for. However, it looks like the spacer makes it manageable. I wonder if the bike's kinematics was constructed in such a way as to result in a late ramp up so that the travel is consistently used. I don't own the Stumpy, but seriously considering it as my next bike. The shared experience here has been great.

How much travel do either of you use when you make that drop on the Enduro?

1001 - 1020 of 1082 Posts