Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1082 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The PSI recommendations are wayyyy off, I am running 230 and am ~190 RTR. What was your sag measurement at those pressures? When I used bodyweight I was around 35%.
I put in 190
PSI and was close to 25% Sag and that’s a no go for me. I didn’t like how firm it felt and it skipped over terrain instead of tracking and gripping. When I say I like the feel of the shock that was at 175-180 PSI but unfortunately it bottoms out and where I ride everything is Jumps-Gaps- Drops on most trails and then I add the extra 10psi and for me it gets harsh. When I’ve used Volume spacers before I’ve usually been able to get back to a lower PSI for a more supple and compliant ride. Also I’m not just trying to achieve a set sag number but more or less good front to rear balance between the Fork and Shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: n8ofire

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey Skinnybex, are you in Bentonville by any chance? Sounds like we ride similar type trails and are near the same weight. I'm having very a similar experience. When I set sag at 13.5mm (30%) per the manual, I am 30psi over my RTR weight (suspension calculator says I should be at 161psi) Anyway, I'm blowing through the travel on medium hits even in pedal mode, although I can't say the bottom outs have been harsh. Very curious what happens with the volume spacers, I was thinking that would be next to try.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey Skinnybex, are you in Bentonville by any chance? Sounds like we ride similar type trails and are near the same weight. I'm having very a similar experience. When I set sag at 13.5mm (30%) per the manual, I am 30psi over my RTR weight (suspension calculator says I should be at 161psi) Anyway, I'm blowing through the travel on medium hits even in pedal mode, although I can't say the bottom outs have been harsh. Very curious what happens with the volume spacers, I was thinking that would be next to try.
I found that riding closer to 25% sag was ideal since the bike is pretty liberal with travel use. It still feels both plush and efficient. It's definitely a different feeling than a purely progressive bike when you have tons of support in the mid-stroke, but I think that is because it uses the flex stays as part of the damping system. Never a bad idea to try spacers, I may mess with that as well. I hit some 4-5 foot drops to flat on my first ride and used all the travel but did not feel a harsh bottom out at all.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Yes, I’m in Bentonville and your experience is exactly as mine. Im not knocking the bike in any way but I just wanna get it feeling even more capable and composed. I use it as my trail bike for 80% of my rides so it’s the bike I choose to ride most and it makes sense to get it feeling dialed for those features that hit the bikes limit for travel.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
as a general rule, try more pressure and LESS spacers for better 'midstroke' (which is subjective as to where that actually is) support.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I put in 190
PSI and was close to 25% Sag and that’s a no go for me. I didn’t like how firm it felt and it skipped over terrain instead of tracking and gripping. When I say I like the feel of the shock that was at 175-180 PSI but unfortunately it bottoms out and where I ride everything is Jumps-Gaps- Drops on most trails and then I add the extra 10psi and for me it gets harsh. When I’ve used Volume spacers before I’ve usually been able to get back to a lower PSI for a more supple and compliant ride. Also I’m not just trying to achieve a set sag number but more or less good front to rear balance between the Fork and Shock.

SkinnyBex, sounds like you are running a bit too little bike for your intended usage.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
SkinnyBex, sounds like you are running a bit too little bike for your intended usage.
I have my E29 and SB150 but way over biked on these same trails and not much fun to pedal or generally ride around here. My SB130 handled these same features more composed without repeated bottoming so I’m hoping that a Token will do the trick for the Stumpy.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Makes sense. I've ridden Bentonville 1x and it's lots of fun but most of what I saw was not particularly rough or chunky. I'd consider my Evo too much bike for there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I found that riding closer to 25% sag was ideal since the bike is pretty liberal with travel use. It still feels both plush and efficient. It's definitely a different feeling than a purely progressive bike when you have tons of support in the mid-stroke, but I think that is because it uses the flex stays as part of the damping system. Never a bad idea to try spacers, I may mess with that as well. I hit some 4-5 foot drops to flat on my first ride and used all the travel but did not feel a harsh bottom out at all.
I guess I will try 25% and see what happens. I wonder why Specialized recommendations seen so far off though
Yes, I’m in Bentonville and your experience is exactly as mine. Im not knocking the bike in any way but I just wanna get it feeling even more capable and composed. I use it as my trail bike for 80% of my rides so it’s the bike I choose to ride most and it makes sense to get it feeling dialed for those features that hit the bikes limit for travel.

My thoughts exactly. Even our XC trails have features, and who wants to miss them because you're on the wrong bike. Please update us when you get another spacer in there. See you on the trails!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Makes sense. I've ridden Bentonville 1x and it's lots of fun but most of what I saw was not particularly rough or chunky. I'd consider my Evo too much bike for their.
Yes, your exactly correct. Theres nothing in this area of SP/Coler/BV/Blowing Springs that warrants anything more than the Stumpy. Even the Large Drops and features are more about landing the transition and runout smoothly to keep from casing your suspension. And the more relaxed Geo and shorter travel makes the bike way more fun. Recently I checked out Centennial Hills over in Fayetteville and those are some legit black and double black trails where more travel will definitely help out. I'll get everything tested Thursday and give my thoughts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I guess I will try 25% and see what happens. I wonder why Specialized recommendations seen so far off though
They have to recommend what will work for Joe Average, who is probably not riding all that aggressively. I rode again today at 230 PSI for my 180lb weight and ~25% sag and it was perfect, I'm gonna stick with that and not even bother with spacers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For folks who are reaching the bottom, are you simply using all of the travel or hitting the bottom such that you are losing control? If it’s the former, is that a bad thing? If the latter, it would be good to hear how the extra spacer changes things.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
For folks who are reaching the bottom, are you simply using all of the travel or hitting the bottom such that you are losing control? If it’s the former, is that a bad thing? If the latter, it would be good to hear how the extra spacer changes things.
I’m reaching bottom out but not harsh on 2-5 foot drops pretty much every time and on fast G-outs and compressions and I’m harshly Bottoming everything from 6-8 feet and landing some jumps semi flattish.

Yes, using your full travel rear suspension is very common and not normally an issue but still the progression and LR should be able to have a bit left in reserve. Rear suspension bias is always 70/30 - 60/40 rear shock to fork and most people complain about not using full travel on there fork which is not correct IMHO. I think using 80-85% front is healthy and keeps the front end riding higher when needed and keeping that last 10-15% for those oh’ crap moments when you land nose heavy or hit something really big. For the rear I like to have the O-ring with a few mm from full bet still feeling that ramp and support.

Listen, the bike is outstanding and yes I could try running 35-40psi above body weiybut I’m not into my general flow sag being 22-24% because the bike feels like crap at that ratio. Maybe my shock has issues. I’ve equalized numerous times.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know what Specialized recommends, but the shock tune is really confusing. I went with 210 PSI for 30% sag ~160 lbs geared. Confirmed by sag and also Shockwiz.
210, OK.

I bottom out on every drop to flat from 2-3 feet. Experimented with different compression settings but I really need to close the shock to stop it. So ordered a set of DPS spacers to play with. Funny thing Shockwiz keeps saying spacers and pressure are perfect, despite keeping bottoming out. On another bike I don't bottom out, but Shockwiz keeps suggesting to add spacers (well, it's actually fork and not shock, but it does not know).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Going back to my previous post, I'm starting to worry. For those who rides with the shock above 200 PSI, where your rebound dial is? Mine has rebound fully closed at 210 PSI. And Shockwiz recommends to close a notch more. Wonder if I have a broken shock.
I trust this Shockwiz though. It provided reasonable recommendations on my other bike.
My rebound is where the specialized app and fox documentation suggested. 5 clicks in? Can't remember, but it feels good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My rebound is where the specialized app and fox documentation suggested. 5 clicks in? Can't remember, but it feels good.
Sorry, I take it back. There is something weird going on with the rebound dial. It was not fully closed, by far. And actually very hard to turn. I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I don't know what Specialized recommends, but the shock tune is really confusing. I went with 210 PSI for 30% sag ~160 lbs geared. Confirmed by sag and also Shockwiz.
210, OK.

I bottom out on every drop to flat from 2-3 feet. Experimented with different compression settings but I really need to close the shock to stop it. So ordered a set of DPS spacers to play with. Funny thing Shockwiz keeps saying spacers and pressure are perfect, despite keeping bottoming out. On another bike I don't bottom out, but Shockwiz keeps suggesting to add spacers (well, it's actually fork and not shock, but it does not know).
Don't think SW cares about bottoming out as much as rate of suspension usage. That's where your opinions have to jump in and make volume spacer changes as needed.
I predict the SJ will have a similar fate as the Spur as lots of riders realize that the geo can write a check the suspension can't quite cash.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tried looking through all the pages, but has anyone that owns the 2018+ SJ test ridden or bought the 2021? I am curious about how differently they ride.

981 - 1000 of 1082 Posts